Minor Nuisances

Someone on GH requested: I noticed that it said that if a scene has no poses, that you could delete it but it seems that it still isn’t allowing me to delete a scene, even if all that was in it was an OOC comment asking if someone was there. Could it be allowed for scenes to be deleted if it’s purely OOC and no poses?

1 Like

Not even sure if this is possible, but can it be added so portal registrations push IP onto the character? I know I can just turn the portal registrations off, buuuuuuut I love the feature as a player; I just miss seeing the IP address as an admin.

Uhhh… maybe? I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

The portal will helpfully give the Picard Facepalm when the game is down, but won’t return to the main page when the game is back up again.

1 Like

If there’s a category for “even more minor nuisance” this would be one:

When the portal’s upgrade button is pressed, the game is notified. When upgrade/start is run from the game it doesn’t seem to be. (Probably because one can always wall first.)

When the portal’s upgrade button is pressed and no upgrade is needed, can the system just not run the “%% we’re upgrading!” announcement?

Maybe it’s necessary because it always runs admin/finish, even if there’s no changes?

I may very well be misunderstanding any other use of the portal’s button.

Thanks.

The game is notified of database migrations, which is part of the upgrade/finish when you’re using the MU-client commands.

The web portal button is a one-stop button that does both upgrade/start and upgrade/finish for folks who have no custom code (or are git-savvy enough to be confident that they have no merge conflicts). That’s why you see the migration message from the web but not from upgrade/start.

DB migrations can sometimes take a few seconds, so that’s why there’s an announcement to alert folks in case there’s lag. The other upgrade steps don’t have this problem (at least, not in my tests), so there’s no specific announcement for them.

upgrade/finish is safe to run even if there are no actual code updates… though short of an accidental click that should really never happen. If you’re upgrading on purpose, presumably there’s at least one code change.

Would it be possible for roll/private Person/Thing vs NPC/# (or vs OtherPerson/OtherThing, for that matter) to be changed so that it actually does roll privately – or failing that, gives an error like “You can’t roll ‘vs’ rolls privately” instead of rolling them to the FS3 channel despite the switch? If I use the switch, I probably have some reason I didn’t want it to go to the channel, and I’d really rather have the option to decide whether I’d rather roll it openly or just roll both sides privately and compare them by hand. Thank you!

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, that’s just a bug. Thanks.

1 Like

Two today:

• It would be nice if scene invitations notified the person invited that they’d been invited; they don’t seem to. Or at least the one I got yesterday didn’t!

• Channels and OOC are a little too ‘smart’. I often see (or am) people attempting to start a remark with quoted text and there seems to be no way to make Ares not eat the first quote. I assume this is in case people are trying to ‘say’ on the channel/in ooc, but I feel like extra marks they can learn to stop using are a lesser evil than the inability to do it on purpose. For random example:
    [Chat] Ren says, “'cause I said so.”
    or
    [Chat] Ren says, “It’s completely harmless.”
    [Chat] Ren says, “‘Harmless’ is definitely not an exaggeration at all.”

Thank you!

You should get a message about being invited to the scene if you’re logged in. That didn’t seem worthy of a login/bell notification but I could consider it if folks would like.

All communication messages - channels/ooc/pages/etc. go through the same parser, sorry. That converts poses/says/semiposes to their extended format. Also, channel messages are always prefixed by your name, for channel title / consistency / nospoof type reasons. It would look a little goofy if it were like: Faraday "Hiya," she said.

I’d actually like a portal notification for invites, or scenes created with me as a participant, if I’m not on the game. I’ve missed maaaany scenes for hours because I didn’t ever click on ‘my scenes’ or ‘active’.

I reserve the right to change my mind about this later.

2 Likes

I was logged in to both the client and the portal, but I didn’t get any messages. I only knew it happened because I was verbally invited to the scene, did a scene/join, got the ‘you need an invite or meetme’ message, the person logged in to the client to scene/invite me, and then they told me they’d done it and I scene/joined successfully. So if it’s meant to tell us, I think something went wrong. This was on Gray Harbor, and I don’t know what happens on any other games, but multiple times while logged in both ways, I’ve been invited to a scene with scene/invite or I’ve been added to a scene created on the portal and not even known for ages.

And I’d kind of like it to hit notifications too, for the same reason @Tat said!

I’m not asking for channel messages not to be prepended with the name. I’m talking about things like:
chat 'Everyone Failed' is my favourite result to see.
I don’t want to get:
[Chat] Aidan (@Ren) says, "Everyone Failed' is my favourite result to see."
I want to get:
[Chat] Aidan (@Ren) says, "'Everyone Failed' is my favourite result to see."

As far as I can tell the only way to make it work right is to start with a double quote before your single quote (or second double) on purpose, so the first double one can get eaten. Two single ones just both get eaten, which is really odd since a ’ is preserved after ", :, or ;. Couldn’t the parser ignore a ’ if it’s not the very first thing on the line – i.e., if it’s after ooc or page or a channel alias? The only time you’d want it eaten is when it’s being used as an alias for ooc, which I didn’t even know you could do until I was trying to figure out how to make it behave. <channelalias> \Testing seems to get you [Chat] Aidan (@Ren) says, "Testing", but ooc \Testing gets you <OOC> Testing, so it feels like there’s already some logic making different decisions on the same first character of text in there based on command context.

Now that I know using an unwanted " at the start will make it come out right, at least I can do that (if I remember), but I really think if people start a sentence with ’ after any command, they intend that ’ to show up.

1 Like

I’m sorry that it’s not working the way you expect it to, and I appreciate the feedback, but it is working ‘right’ as I’ve designed it.

The pose-related commands (regular poses, OOCs, channel chats and pages/pms) all work under the same basic rules.

• Single and double quotes start a “say”.
  • Colon starts a “pose”.
  • Semi-colon starts a “semi-pose”.
  • Backslash or double-backslash starts an emit. (except that channels don’t support emits; OOC isn’t supposed to either but that’s a bug.)

You’d have a similar effect if you wanted to start a channel statement with a :, which does happen sometimes with emots, like ch :-) becoming <Chat> Faraday (@Faraday) -)

I’ll look into the scene invite alert though. I can clearly see the line in the code that should be doing the emit, so something must be going awry.

1 Like

It emits a scene invite message if you’re on the MUSH; having one that triggered if you were only on the portal would be handy, though.

1 Like

@Ren Actually, in looking at the code to make it so you couldn’t do an OOC emit, I realized that the ’ and > prefixes were just something somebody requested as an alias for ooc <message>. So I can short-circuit those in the pose catcher and don’t need them in the pose formatter. That’ll make it so you can do ch 'This thing' is my favorite. You’ll still need to use double markers if you want to start with the regular pose markers " ; :.

1 Like

That’s awesome! I’d written most of a post to say ’ seemed to be behaving as an alias for OOC, but I didn’t know about > (although it explains why someone’s ooc >_< kept losing an eye today!).

Thank you so much! I’m more than fine with the normal markers as they are – I think most of us are already trained to do things like ::D instead of just :D on channels and in OOC, from the older codebases, and we do need to be able to pose and semi-pose in those places.

@KarmaBum
The weird thing is that I was on the MUSH, and I didn’t get a message that time. I’ve checked my logs, there really wasn’t one. This is extra odd because there are invites from other scenes in them, most recently just today! I’d wonder more if the person who said they invited me had instead added me from the portal, but they’d logged in to the MUSH instead of just portal specifically to do the scene/invite. I’ll just try to keep an eye out and see if it ever happens again, I guess.

Generally speaking, I think it’d be really nice if being added (via new scene created on the portal with you in it, added to a portal scene, or scene/invite) always let you know both on the game and the portal.

1 Like

@Ren Do you remember what scene # it was?

What probably happened is that they didn’t use scene/invite but instead just added you to the scene via either the scene edit screen or scene/addchar. Those, I found, weren’t actually telling you. The next patch should improve the alerts for getting added to a scene across the board. Thanks for the feedback.

3 Likes

It waaas (checking…) #3311.

The logs from that far back are gone, but I checked with @Grimdarque, who said he constructs scenes from the portal.

So yeah, it would be that the character was added via the portal rather than sent an invite from the MUSH.

1 Like