Minor Nuisances

Just noticed this today / pieced it together.

When creating a vignette (and possibly other scene types) from the portal, the temp/RP room seems to stick around indefinitely.

1 Like

Yeah @Tat reported the same thing. That’ll be fixed in the next patch. Thanks.

1 Like

When registering a new character, if you fill out name/password/password and hit “enter” instead of clicking the register button, it gives a sad Picard.

2019-03-06 03:41:12 ERROR - Web client error: Nothing handled the action ‘login’. If you did handle the action, this error can be caused by returning true from an action handler in a controller, causing the action to bubble. : Error

Clicking the button works fine, though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Being able to change the square brackets for mail stuff - [Inbox] / [Achievement Earned] / etc. - so ye olde trigger would stop sending it to my channel spawn.

This probably counts as a minor nuisance:

If you have the FS3 Rolls channel spawned – or just channels in general – and people are doing contested rolls, one will end up in your spawn, and the other will end up in your main display. Such as:

[FS3 Rolls] <FS3> Gil rolls Brawl (7 7 3) vs Calgary's Brawl+1 (8 7 6 5 5 5 3)
<FS3>          Marginal Victory for Calgary.

I know that Spirit Lake did switch over its channel brackets to square brackets, but I think it’d apply even with the default angled brackets.

Anyways the request would be to see if there was some way to have that second line – idk, either be sent to the channel separately instead of as one message with a linebreak so that it’s also prefaced with the channel name, or – I don’t really know! If there’s a way to put the [FS3 Rolls] in front of both lines of that tho it would fix what it, admittedly, a minor nuisance.

1 Like

Yeah I can probably make that use the same brackets as the channels do. The base Ares codebase is set up so that everything you might want to spawn uses angle brackets for consistency. When square brackets for channels were requested it kind of snowballed into adding bracket configs everywhere.

Oh, to be clear, it’s not so much that the brackets are different. It’s that one line has the channel title in front and the other doesn’t (because it’s one message to the channel with a linebreak in the middle, I presume, as opposed to two messages sent to the channel). I wouldn’t want all the rolls to suddenly be using square brackets!

Yeah I get it, I just meant that it’s all coming down to the fact that in the stock install, both messages would have angle brackets. It wouldn’t be inconsistent.

It’s just the same message being echoed to both the room and the channel in this case, so that’s why it’s [FS3 Rolls] <FS3> Roll Text

Oh, yeah, even if our channels were still using angle brackets, it’d still break my spawn in particular, because I spawn it on the specific channel name (rather than more general spawning based on “everything beginning with [” or something). So the bracket types make no difference to my situation, actually!

Just a small one…

The ability to do something like “friends/mute” would be handy-dandy. If you have more than one character on a game linked to your handle, it can get a little client-flashy when a buddy logs in. I have it gagged on my client, or I could just unlink them from my handle, but a general ability to just unnotify when an AresCentral friend logs in would be nice.

I just hit watch none on my alt to turn off his watch monitor and it seemed to work okay. I guess I do have watch all set on my primary alt instead of watch friends.

1 Like

OMG, I’m asking for an existing feature. Carry on, nothing to see here~.

Thank you, @Roz. :smiley:

1 Like

It’d be really nice if the ‘other’ section of where were sorted alphabetically by room name!

1 Like

They’re supposed to be. Must be busted. Thanks.

Possibly intended, but a background skill with an accented character (â) wouldn’t save from the web portal until/unless the letter was changed to an unaccented one.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s just the game I’m on, but qr xp gives:

xp <name> - Views someone's XP progress.
xp <name> - Views someone's XP progress.
xp/award <name>=<# of XP>/<reason> - Awards XP.
xp/award <name>=<# of XP> - Awards XP.
xp/undo <name>=<ability> - Undo an accidentaly XP expenditure.
xp/undo <name>=<ability> - Undo an accidentaly XP expenditure.
xp - Shows your progress towards the next rating level.

So, most of them duplicated, and an extra ‘y’ on ‘accidental’ for xp/undo. Also it would be handy if ‘help xp_costs’ were listed there, because that’s where I was looking to try to find it without spamming myself to death, but that might just be me. Thanks!

I’ll fix the typo and duplicate entries.

(Side note - sometimes qr will give a duplicate entry if the command intentionally appears in multiple help files, but in this case it was just a goof. :slight_smile: )

There is no ‘help xp_costs’ in the standard game install, because the xp costs are configurable. If the game you’re on has a help file for that, you’ll need to ask them about any changes.

Thanks!

Although I see the logic for cookie/here being different from cookie/scene X, I think that most people for whom ‘here’ is currently a scene are expecting it to get everyone in the scene, including via the web portal, not just the ones physically in the room (which is what I’m told it does). I’m not sure in what situation one would want to ONLY cookie the non-web participants, so perhaps it would make sense for cookie/here to be the same as cookie/scene ?

Also, a few people have expressed the wish that they could somehow cookie a scene in an ongoing way – maybe A, B, and C are in the scene at the time C gives cookies, but then D, E, F, and G join later. C tends to forget to cookie a second time to catch them, and wishes that having cookied the scene already would automatically cookie the people who joined it afterward as well, when they arrive (or all members when the scene ends, maybe more logically). Being able to cookie an already-shared scene from the web might also be helpful at times.

1 Like

Yeah, cookie/here should probably just be an alias for cookie/scene. I can’t think of any reason why you’d want to cookie just specifically the people in the room at that moment but not anyone else.

I can probably also make the cookie/scene web option work even after the scene ends. There’s no real justification for why it doesn’t.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Hopefully it’s okay to reply here with this. I figured it might help to save on threads? Not sure which is preferred.

Anyway, I wanted to note that BeipMU* natively handles UTF-8 now apparently, but the various clients page says it needs to be set up.

Also, on the main AresMUSH webpage, if you click Forums, it takes you to a wordpress for AresMUSH.

Thanks!

1 Like