Minor Nuisances

I wasn’t in the scene when it was constructed. But, I talked to Hyacinth’s player and have sorted out what happened, now. I said on Discord I couldn’t join, and needed a scene/invite, please. Hya said one moment, they’d log in, did, then said ‘there’ in Discord, and then I was able to join. I mentioned it was weird I didn’t get message saying I was invited, and they agreed. So, that’s why I thought it had been done that way. But, I got a chance to ask about it in more specific detail today, and they say that despite having logged in, they then did it from the portal anyway, so different route to the same explanation: added via portal rather than sent the invite. Sorry for the confusion! I’m glad there’ll be alerts for the other versions too in the next patch.

Any chance we could get a job/unassign command for the times you accidentally assign a job to yourself and didn’t mean to? (Not that I’ve ever done this ever.)

1 Like

If you have signed up for an upcoming scene, unless I’m missing how you do it, there’s no place to check what upcoming scenes you’re signed up for.

For example, say I’ve signed up for 2 scenes this week, on Monday and Friday, but not for any scenes on any other days. How do I check which two scenes, or which days, without going to each scene specifically?

I signed up for two fairly far in the future scenes at one point, and forgot about one of them, and only discovered it by accident before it started when clicking on the scene. Ideally I’d love to be able to click somewhere to see what upcoming/current scenes I’m currently signed up for.

I hope I’m making sense, hahaha.

3 Likes

This would be cool. Also a cron reminding people the day before. People def seem to forget stuff that they sign up for a week+ out.

4 Likes

Definitely. I’ve seen it mentioned before, but something like a My Events page like My Scenes would be handy for quickly checking what one’s signed up for, and a cron like @Tat suggests would probably be really helpful too.

3 Likes

Small request here. Would it be possible to set ares to grant luck or whatever is used when a scene is shared, rather than when it’s stopped? We’ve had some cases where a scene was set up a while ahead of time and it auto-stopped before people posed in, so after it was finished and shared, no one got their reward.

2 Likes

I know that the usual main issue here is, if a scene is unshared, no one gets luck, but I almost feel like that’s not an issue. And if it is, maybe make it a setting which can be toggled?

1 Like

I’ll think about it and see what I can do. I triggered it off scene stop figuring that you shouldn’t have to share a scene to get luck for it, but I didn’t consider the auto-stop. Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

A lot of characters on GH have a lot of unshared scenes. (I don’t ask why. It’s not relevant. But I assure you, there are people with dozens of scenes they’ve never shared.) I don’t want to deprive them of luck they’ve earned through their RP just 'cause they’re not comfortable sharing it all.

All that to say: an admin option would be appreciated over a blanket change if it’s possible. :slight_smile:

Hm. Is there some other way to deal with the stop issue? Like, could a scene somehow keep track of whether it’s stopped before and who got Luck for it? Though I guess that gets complicated since if people got luck on the first stop, that amount won’t be taking into account the people who joined after that first stop without more calculations figuring all that out.

…what if it did it on the first stop, but somehow recorded that part, and then if shared, recalculated and gave Luck to anyone not in that first stop and adjusted the amount for people who were? Still kind of complicated but also sort of hits the benefits of both versions while making a way to fix the autostop issue… I suspect most of the intentionally unshared scenes don’t get more people in them after the first time they stop anyway, so they wouldn’t need to worry about sharing for a recalculation.

Related: after a scene has stopped once, does it stop counting words? It kind of looks that way currently, and that seems odd if so. (And I really end up in a lot of scenes that autostop and get restarted. >_>)

It is not my intention to only award luck for shared scenes. I’ll figure out the stop issue. Probably just have to keep track of which scenes you’ve gotten luck for. Thanks for the discussion!

ETA: The same basic issue applies to the word count rules as well. I was basically just trying to keep people from getting multiple credit every time a scene stops and starts, but with the auto-stop that’s not ideal.

2 Likes

Would a better option, perhaps, be to run a report that reminds people to finish or close out their scenes?

I realize on more active games it may lead to longer active scene lists, but I feel like that may be a better solution (I also run into the auto-stop way too often with someone who has a very busy schedule and sometimes goes a couple days between poses).

1 Like

I’ve increased the default auto-stop time from 3 days to 7 in the forthcoming patch. I don’t want to make it too long because I do think that will lead to the active scenes list being unduly cluttered. But a week between poses isn’t unreasonable to expect IMHO.

3 Likes

Not sure if GH uses the default time or not, but as someone who fairly regularly has scenes autostop, I thank you.

If the autostop is by default shorter after it’s closed one (it seems like it’s 24 hours on GH at least) could that one maybe be a little longer too?

Sorry I don’t understand what you’re asking. What’s 24 hours?

It might just be a specific game setting! I’m only on the one Ares game, so I can’t compare. But after a scene’s stopped once, and it’s restarted and posed/OOCed in, then if it goes 24 hours without a pose or OOC to keep it open, it closes. I was just asking that, if that was a default, maybe it could be extended too. But if it didn’t ring a bell, I’m guessing it isn’t the default!

1 Like

Ares only has one timeout for stopping scenes. It doesn’t matter how many times it’s been stopped/restarted, it’ll time out any active scene that hasn’t had activity within the specified amount of time. That time is currently 72 hours by default - I’ll be raising it to 7 days, but each game can set it to whatever they want.

Huh. That’s interesting… I know I’ve had new scenes stay open multiple days with no change in them, and lots of old ones close repeatedly each time it reached 24 hours without a new pose from anyone. If there aren’t different timeouts to be set, I wonder what’s actually been happening there…

Anyway, I still support raising the default on the timeout that exists!

Weird. The scenes code doesn’t check to see if it’s been stopped before. If you see it happen, maybe see if the game admin can check ruby Scene[123].last_activity before you restart it just to see what it thinks the last activity was. Perhaps something isn’t triggering an activity update.

I should note that the timeout only applies to scenes in temp rooms. Scenes on the public grid are stopped if there’s nobody in them. That wouldn’t cover the scenario you’re talking about though since restarted scenes are always in temp rooms.

I’ve definitely lost a few scenes to the 24-hour mark, and never realized that it was supposed to be 72 hours. <.<

I just opened a test scene to see if I can get it to happen again.