Web Portal Wishes

I have a list I’ve been keeping of ‘things I wish I could do on the web portal’, and it dawned on me that it’s silly to keep it where no one else can see it, and I thought others might have thoughts. So I have started a thread.

I imagine some of these are already on @faraday’s radar for future versions, but I will list them anyway, just in case.

• Jobs that show up next to ‘mail’ in the top right corner, with an activity notifier (glitch actually did this for us - it’s amazing)
  • Ability to assign, categorize, and change the status of jobs
  • Ability to sort and/or filter jobs by column.
  • RSVP to events
  • Delete and tag mails
  • Filter and/or sort mails
  • List of characters by group
  • Search logs with field limiters (date, characters, plot, etc)
1 Like

Most of those are on the backlog, but thanks for the suggestions!

In general – someday I would like for every single thing you can do in-game to be possible from the web. Every feature of the jobs/events/mail/forum/scene systems should be available eventually. But it’s still nice to hear which things are most important to folks, because it helps with prioritization.

This one though I don’t understand:

• List of characters by group

How is that different from the character directory, which is organized by group?

Character directory is organized by one group. I may want to see a list by a different group.

So for example, our groups are Schools of magic. It’s organized by Major School- but there’s no easy way for me to see a list of everyone by their Minor School.

Basically if they have more than one group, you can’t really see who’s in what group for more than the one chosen for character gallery, unless I’m missing something.

As I make yet another mistake in a forum post, let me add:

• EDITING FORUM POSTS

Also, I am thrilled to hear that you want every feature on the web, as I also want every feature on the web. :wink:

If I were prioritizing,my top ones would probably be, for me, jobs token, assigning, and categorizing; event RSVPing; forum post editing.

1 Like

Well the character gallery supports organization by two “axes” - controlled by character_gallery_group and character_gallery_subgroup. For example, on BSGU the characters are organized by faction (into tabs) and then by position (sections within each tab). So you could organize the tabs by Major School and then show the Minor School groups within each tab.

That may not cover every use case (like if Minor School crosses Major boundaries) which is why I wanted to understand more what you were looking for.

Yeah, that’s how we have it set up. But because I sometimes want to see characters who have the school ‘Fire’ -regardless of whether it’s major or minor - it’d be great if I could see a list by group instead of tabbing through all the tabs looking for that secondary grouping.

And if you had three groups, you’d have no easy way to see members of whatever group didn’t make the gallery cut.

1 Like

combat/log visible on the portal so I don’t have to keep guessing what page the relevant rolls are on. Probably pretty low priority though.

1 Like

Tag a log with more than one plot (for example, smaller plots that tie into a larger meta plot).

1 Like

Add tags to plots, and then let me use those tags to create page lists like I can with scenes.

1 Like

One-button ability to scroll down to the bottom of an in-progress scene.

Scrolling through all the previous poses is particularly brutal on mobile (when it gets confused between scrolling the whole page or just the poses within the scene).

2 Likes

I was just going through the wish list and realized - did you know that you can actually see this already through the web portal group census? I forgot.

It’s probably not as fancy as what you’re looking for, but the basic thing is there.

Ahhh! I did NOT. That works for me.

Add GMs to plots (more than one) so I can remember who ran them. Awesome if I can do this by player/handle OR by character but either would work.

1 Like

It’d be cool if the web portal notifications could actually take you to things when you click them. (I keep trying to do it instinctively.) So like: click a New Scene Activity notification, it’d take you to that scene. New forum post notif, take you to that forum post. That sort of thing.

Also! Not sure if this is just me, but. When I visit the web portal on mobile via iOS Chrome, the menu stays open/unfurled once I click through to go somewhere. It’s weird and just the most minor bit of hassle to then close it again so I can see the page I just went to. So open the menu, click a place to go, it takes me there but the menu stays open instead of auto-closing so it’s actually not clear that it took me to a different page at first.

3 Likes

“Reply to All” in the mail interface on web-portal. plzzz

1 Like

I have two (ah hah hah) portal wishes today…

The scene list on char profiles goes by (I think?) date posted or completed or something. Not the date listed. Could we have it by date listed?

Much less useful: Is it possible to prevent the character’s icon and their name from breaking separately when listed in the active scene list? It’s really not important but it (probably irrationally) bugs me. In my brain, the name should go beneath the person, not next to. So when I see a name beneath, I assume that’s the person’s name! Only it’s not. My brain is easily confused.

Right at top, the blonde is Alice, the brunette is Green, but “Green” appears below Alice, and confuses my poor self.

(Er, also, I guess this might just be a Spirit Lake thing? I didn’t check on Chontio.)

1 Like

I’ll fix the name-wrap thing in the next patch. Thanks for pointing that out.

Scenes are listed in order of date shared, so most recent scenes appear at the top. Since I can’t control the format of the IC date/time (for example, for games with non-Earth calendars where IC dates are like “32 AD”), I can’t reliably sort on it.

Would it be possible to add the scene number of a scene in more places, on the web? I know it’s in the address, but I think most of us have been conditioned to totally ignore anything in the address bar. So, when you’re on the scene page itself, if the number could be listed somewhere?

1 Like

I know there was just a big upgrade, but one of the things that would be really helpful is if in game forums the posts clearly showed which ones were new and which were already read. Yes, I know they have dates on them, but I don’t always remember that the last time I checked forums was on the 25th at 8:03.

In general, reading the forum threads is more confusing than helpful to me.

1 Like

You mean the individual replies? The categories/boards and posts/threads should have unread markers unless something broke.