Web Portal Wishes

I get really used to using Command-Enter a lot of places on the internet to submit a text thing where Enter by itself does a line break. That’s on a Mac, I know there’s a Windows equivalent – is it Ctrl-Enter? It is a common enough thing on many websites I’ve encountered. ANYWHO it’d be cool if that functionality existed for web portal scenes! Or I guess in the web portal in general to submit things. I guess for scenes you have other submission options, like OOC comments, GM pose, scene set, etc. But I feel like treating regular poses as the default for submission would make sense there.

2 Likes

A “cookie/here” from the portal would be awesome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A series of job/request-related wishes:

• Show the date a request was made in the jobs list overview.

• A toggle on the ‘request’ page for players that lets them see closed jobs (like what appears on the admin side)

• A filter that lets you see all unread jobs regardless of status. Closed jobs sort of drop off the radar now that the filters exist. We go through so many that my ‘unread jobs’ trigger is ALWAYS on and it’s hard to find ones where the new activity was closing it.

The ability to add NPCs to scenes via the portal (unless I’m just crazy and did this wrong).

Tat requested that too and it’ll be in the next patch. Thanks.

1 Like

Something someone brought up a minute ago: it’d be cool if the website version of the census had the names linked to the character pages.

1 Like

So funny that… I could’ve sworn I’d done that already but apparently I only did the game side and never finished the web side. Thanks for the reminder :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Something that came up today on Spirit Lake. A brainless way to display closed requests playerside would maybe be handy. Like the equivalent of what you get with ‘request/all’ on-game. I found out that you can pull up all your open and closed requests by doing ‘Search Requests’ and searching without entering anything, but I never would’ve done this unless someone had pointed it out.

1 Like

Can do - thanks for the suggestion.

In-game or on the portal, a relationship/search <name> would be handy to see who all has someone relationshipped. Mainly looking at this for the purposes of roster upkeep.

1 Like

These might already be in the plans, but I’d really love to be able to do ‘vs’ rolls, such as Bob/Driving vs Murgatroyd/Composure. I did figure out from testing that arbitrary skills and other people’s skills can be typed in, which is great, but sometimes you know a scene is likely to have opposed rolls and then you can’t really do it from the portal. Unless I’m missing something, of course!

And paging would also be useful, as long as it only notified you on the portal if you weren’t also on the game.

Thank you!

1 Like

I can add opposed rolls to the wish list. Right now you’d have to have each person roll separately and then just compare the results manually. (An opposed roll is just person a’s # of successes compared to person b’s).

Pages are a more complicated issue. You can see this thread for some discussion of the issues there, which are more about perception and privacy than any technical hurdle.

1 Like

I will look forward to the opposed rolls!

Hm. Having read that thread – what if there were a pagelike command? Like actually using ‘pm’, and if you use that command, the message goes through the web portal and is stored, whereas page/p still works the old-school way, on-game only? That seems like it would allow people to talk in a one-on-one way with someone/someone else who can only be on from the web at the time, but also allow people to opt out if they don’t like the idea. It could have a genuine opt-out option (you try and get a ‘x does not have pms enabled’) or they could just, well, not use it. Maybe that would help get around the perception issue?

Yeah, that was discussed - maybe not in that thread, but somewhere here lol :slight_smile:

The main issue with having a separate command is that MUSH players have deeply-ingrained habits. I think folks are really going to have a hard time switching from page to pm, and the number of mis-types would be crazy.

The issue with having it be opt-in is that it makes the usability of a multi-player conversation very awkward if one of the people hasn’t opted in and then logs off. It’s just not a very nice user experience.

What I think will probably end up happening is grafting PMs into the channel system, kind of like private channels. There are issues there too with how best to do the user experience, so it’s a way off. But at this point I don’t see pages in their current form ever transitioning to the portal.

1 Like

I’d kind of like the ability to turn on toast notifications for action in web portal scenes sometimes. The little dots help, but if I’ve got several tabs open and someone makes a forum post, suddenly they’ve all got dots, and I also don’t see them if something else is in the foreground, so being able to say ‘toasts for activity in this scene please!’ would be pretty handy.

I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking. Web portal scenes use the built-in browser notification system (assuming you’ve enabled notifications and your browser supports them; in Chrome your game must also be running on HTTPS in order to be trusted).

If browser notifications are enabled, you won’t just get the little dots, but also the pop-up notification like this:

Which should be browsable in your PC’s notification system.

I could make the “New scene activity!” message more verbose, though.

That might be it – the game’s not on https. So I guess I’d have to ask them! Looking at those, if I were able to get them, I wouldn’t mind also having the name of the tab/scene, though! Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, since most scenes aren’t named until they’re done, I’m not sure how useful it is to know that there’s activity in scene “981” as opposed to “982”, heh… but I’ll add that anyway for the next patch.

1 Like

Maybe scene # + participants (or the first x number)? I’d love more verbose notifications in general where they make sense.

2 Likes

This came up between a few people today: having the pause/unpause button also at the bottom of the window on the live scene page, rather than only at the top.

It’d also be nice if there were a way for the pose order to update its times more often, without only happening if someone makes a new pose or you reload. Some scenes go a very long time between poses!

Only semi-relatedly, I’d really like to be able to have my logs sorted otherwise than by (I think) date shared. By IC date of scene would make me happiest. By scene number would be a small improvement from the current arrangement. I don’t actually know if that’s Ares or something staff on a given game choose, but my list looks all out of order to me and it makes me twitch. So if it IS Ares, this is a strong web-portal wish for me.

1 Like