Minor Nuisances

@tat I took the liberty of renaming the thread to “minor nuisances” - so it covers things that may or may not be bugs but probably don’t warrant a whole thread unto themselves.

If you’ve got a better name, feel free to change the name to that.

1 Like

Nope, totally works for me.

I broke combat today because I took away the ‘Goon’ NPC setting in favor of levels that better reflect our system.

I assume that the code sets NPCs to ‘Goon’ if you don’t specify type. Ideally, the default NPC type would be a config setting. If not, it should be reflected in documentation for the next poor fool to come around.

Yeah that should be configurable. Thanks.

1 Like

I broke our tags page by apparently having a ‘blank’ tag on a page. We had a page tagged

ic,magic,

And it only loaded half the page of tags. Glitch fixed it for us, but I thought you’d want to know for base install stuff.

Oops, thanks. I’ll fix that in the next patch.

A not so minor annoyance - posing from the webportal doesn’t seem to trigger whatever it is that tracks scene order, which means you get constantly nagged to pose.

+============================================================================+
Name Last Posed

Sigvor 15m
Ji 13m
Karishma 12m
Gwydion 11m
Khepri 9m
Chionet 9m
Yuritzi 6m
Kistokir 4m
Ragnar 4m

Ji hesitates for a moment as she attracts Kistokir’s attention, but it is brief, and she is polite. She moves with quick, smooth steps, tipping her head toward the Hofgothi in thanks. “Reassuring,” she tells him. “Thank you.” Her gaze moves not to the bird, but to Ragnar, and there it hooks and lingers for a long moment.

“Ah, well… A warm drink is well and good in the winter snows. But nothing quite beats a chilled one on any occassion,” Sigvor informs Khepri, lifting the cup to rub its frost along her brow. It feels, so good, oh my gods. Her eyes narrow at Kistokir, Grimhilde snapping at his hair to give it a tug. “Only to those who deserve it-- well met! I am Sigvor of Hofgothi. Haile and- oh, I already said that,” she says to Ji with a lift of her cup.
%% It’s your turn to pose.
Name Last Posed

Ji 13m
Karishma 12m
Gwydion 11m
Khepri 9m
Chionet 9m
Yuritzi 6m
Kistokir 4m
Ragnar 4m
Sigvor 2s

1 Like

There seems to be an inconsistency about when people get their ‘participated in a scene’ achievement. A bunch of people are getting it on their second or third scene. I’m not SURE, but I think it might be related to someone manually hitting scene/stop instead of it just stopping when everyone leaves.

Brief convo that may or may not be illuminating:

[Chat] Nessie (@Tat) says, “Has anyone not gotten it in a scene that someone did scene/stop in?”
[Chat] Nessie (@Tat) says, “AS opposed to like the party where people just wandered off and it stopped on its own?”
[Chat] Karishma (@Tez) says, “no idea”
[Chat] Yuritzi (@Cidward) says, “No, but ANOTHER weird thing happened in my scene with khepri that I forgot to report. He got the achievement for like ALL SCENES (vignette/social/event) instead of just social”
[Chat] Ragnar (@Roz) says, “wow what a cheater”
[Chat] Kistokir (@Rob) says, “You’re just that special.”
[Chat] Nessie (@Tat) says, “He’s been in all those scenes.”
[Chat] Khepri (@Kez) says, “I think I only got it when a scene was manually stopped.”
[Chat] Nessie (@Tat) says, “But they all triggered at once?”
[Chat] Yuritzi (@Cidward) says, “Yeah”
[Chat] Nessie (@Tat) says, “kk”
[Chat] Khepri (@Kez) says, “oh yeah, it was really late i forgot about that”
[Chat] Yuritzi (@Cidward) says, “I hadn’t set the scene type before closing the log and editing it, but I hadn’t done that any other times, either, and that was the only time I noticed the mass of achievements”

Take 2!

I think I see what’s happened, but I’m not sure if there’s a great way to fix it.

The achievement is triggered when the scene is stopped. Scenes default to social, so if you didn’t set the scene type prior to stopping it, participants will get credit for a social scene, not an event one.

Now, if that scene later changes to event - what’ll happen is that the character’s counts will be adjusted but the achievements won’t run until the next scene is stopped.

So … for example:

1. Joe has 2 social scenes so far.
  2. Joe participates in the Battle Royale event scene, but it isn’t tagged as an event at the time. His scene count is now Social: 3, Event: 0, so he doesn’t get the event achievement.
  3. Someone fixes the type on the Battle Royale scene. The scene’s already stopped, though, so no achievements are triggered.
  4. Joe participates in a bar scene. His scene count is now Social: 3, Event: 1 (because the royale scene got recategorized). NOW he gets the achievement.

I don’t want to potentially take away achievements if a scene was miscategorized, so I think I’m okay with it working like this. You’ll get credit for the right scenes eventually … it just make take a scene or two for things to even out.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s a huge deal. Might be worth a mention in achievement documentation as a weird possibility, though.

1 Like

Related, I’m not sure if this achievement list is working as intended?

Screenshot

Yeah, not so much! I see the problem, thanks.

‘census’ shows callsign and rank columns even if you aren’t using them - it’d be nice if the census fields were configurable.

1 Like

Tonight, in breaking things in Ares: channels!

• Created a channel called BigScene. Auto aliased to bi, big.
  • Realized we could put spaces in the channel. Deleted BigScene.
  • Created Big Scene. Auto aliased to bi, big. Added the alias bs.
  • Alias bi and big don’t work for Big Scene, even though BigScene is deleted. Alias bs doesn’t work for several players who’d manually added it to BigScene, meaning that they can’t talk on the new channel without adding a ridiculous alias.
1 Like

I’ll fix it so deleting a channel deletes its aliases.

To help you in the mean time… this command should remove the channel options for defunct channels and allow the new alias to work right.

ruby ChannelOptions.all.select { |c| !c.channel }.each { |c| c.delete }
1 Like

Forum posts escape special characters on the game, but not on the web, so any code examples you put in there are often lost. I think it’s really the <> that are the main culprit here. I’ll try to see if I notice anything else going missing.

I’m not sure what you mean by escaping special characters in game. “<” isn’t a special character on MUSH, so there’s no escaping involved.

I think forum posts are treated as markdown (if not, they should be - so let me know if it doesn’t work). In markdown, if you want to use HTML-ish code examples with brackets, you’ll need to mark them as code with the ` character. Like

Look at my cool `<example>`

Oh, huh, that seems an obvious solution. That’s easy enough, I’ll just start doing that.

luck/spend feels like it should probably create a job. I was missing plot requests and such because people were expecting the command to communicate their reason to admin.

I’ve added it to ours, but I feel like it’s probably relevant to other games, too.

LOL - actually it originally did, but I found that really annoying on BSGU because folks would only spend luck when in a ST-ed scene, so it was pretty redundant.

I guess it comes down to why people are spending luck on a game.