Web Portal Wishes

Thanks, yeah, I’m fixing the space issue in the next patch so it shouldn’t be such an issue.

1 Like

I keep wishing I could search logs by scene type, and by plot.

I can add myself, but I thought they might be of general interest.

You can already filter by scene type, and find scenes associated with a plot on the plot page. Am I missing what you’re asking?

Yeah, I want to search by them, so that I can for example find all social scenes in A plot with X,Y and Z characters.

Yeah that’s on the backlog somewhere. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The logs on my character pages seem to have somehow reverted to being sorted in what I think is published order, instead of dated order, and this makes me sad. :frowning:

1 Like

Oops, you’re right. That wasn’t intentional, just a side-effect of the scene performance changes. Will fix (again). Thanks.

1 Like

Profile changes seem to no longer be showing up on Recent Changes! It looks like only wiki pages are registering as changed.

1 Like

Which game? I think Gray Harbor got the fix but I’m not sure if any others did. It’ll be fixed in the next patch, but anyone who wants it sooner and is willing to make a tiny code change can get it here.

Oh, that fixed the “error when saving” bug, but it didn’t add them to the recent changes list.

1 Like

Hmm. Are there any other errors in the log? The method that was causing the error was literally “Add this to recent changes”, so… it should be there. Something else must be going awry.

1 Like

Nevermind. I can reproduce the problem on my test server now. Thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

Roger that. I forgot they were ever even there. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

is not and definitely never has been a semi-obsessive reader of ‘recent changes’ pages

did not at all ask before about not having image changes register as changes in history but with no explanation of what was changed for that reason

really

honest

does not have a problem

…I still would really like if the list of times changes were made might at least have some note like (pics) at the end if it was only images changed, though. I’ll still wish I knew which ones, but at least then I’m not spending time loading it and scrolling down to open the diff in order to find out there’s nothing to see. Sometimes my browser is slow.

I kind of wish I didn’t have to specifically scroll all the way down and click the diff button on every history page every time in any case, because I always want the diff. That’s what I’m looking for, because no way I remember off the top of my head what was there before. I don’t even remember what was on my own pages before I changed them.

I mean, the other solution here is I stop being nosy, but if that hasn’t happened yet it seems unlikely to happen any time soon. >_>

Anyway, I see you got the answer about the profile changes not making the recent changes list, but: I had noticed it on Gray Harbor and then went to look at Spirit Lake to see if it was the same there, since I knew it was Ares and likely to have promptly updated too.

Thank you for all the work you do on this!

1 Like

I can add images to the profile diff. On reflection, it does seem strange for it to register a change but not tell you what changed.

I don’t quite understand the other question about the history. Do you just want a link to the source/history page right from the “Recent Changes” page?

1 Like

Thank you! :smiley:

It was more that when I go to the history, I have to scroll down from the top past the list of times it was changed and past the current source and then click another button to open the diff before I can scroll down through that to find the actual changes. It’d be easier if-- hm. There’s a ‘jump to bottom’ on wiki pages; maybe the history pages could have a ‘jump to diff’ up at the top, and clicking it would both open the diff up and scroll you down to where it starts? That would still be two clicks to get to the diff, but it would cut out having to scroll through the source first at least.

But I would actually love a link to the source/history page right from ‘Recent Changes’, especially if it went directly to the diff. I would use the heck out of that – on mediawikis I usually do use the link that does that directly from RC.

1 Like

It would be cool if the “forum” page showed the date of the latest reply (either in addition to or in lieu of the original post date).

2 Likes

I would really love a way to have more than one alt usable on the portal at once (without an incognito window). Like, if I could just pick which character I was joining a scene as, and/or if I could deal with scenes from multiple alts in /scenes-play and just be the appropriate alt for the scene (i.e., the one that’s in it) when I posed from there.

I know this would require some serious UX thought as far as implementation, but with so many of us playing more than one (some people have four or more!) character on a game, it’d be really handy. Even using an incognito window in Chrome one can only do two before one’d need to start using Firefox as well.

1 Like

So, there’s relationships/order to let you order your list of categories on the client, but no way I can find to do that from the portal except tweaking the category names until they hit the right order alphabetically.

And you can arrange your relationships within a category non-alphabetically using the Order field on the portal, but on the client, they still come up in alphabetical order.

It’d be cool if categories could be ordered on the portal, and if the client honoured the portal’s relationship-order!

1 Like

@ren - The relationships was just an oversight. Thanks for pointing it out.

As far as multiple alts on the portal - I definitely agree with you that it would be nice to have, but unfortunately the code implications make it impractical.

Because the MU client is still one-character-per-connection, the entire Ares architecture is limited-to/based-around that idea. When you ask “give me my scenes” - it’s that character’s scenes. When you say “show me my mail” - it’s that character’s mail. When you check access to a web page, or figure out who to notify when a new message comes in, it’s by character.

Early on I explored the possibility of making everything based around player accounts (like some MUDs do, or Storium, or other platforms). But that would have made things too disruptive for folks who still wanted to use MU clients, where handles are optional and the workflow starts with connecting to a character, not a player account.

It would just be a massive undertaking to switch horses now, and not something I’m willing to undertake at this point. Sorry!

1 Like