V0.51 Released

Beta V0.51 is now released, with a few new features and fixes.

Release Notes
How to Upgrade

1 Like

This seems to have broken the drop-down menus. On GH and the Ares Demo.

1 Like

Did you run the database migrator? I forgot to do that on Ares Demo, so the menu was still using the old menu names. (page instead of route)

Actually I see the problem. I hadnā€™t forgotten to run the migrator, but the upgrade/finish is missing a load config step after the migrator is finished. Iā€™ll fix that for the future. For now, though, doing load config should fix you up.

1 Like

I think I mentioned the cookie/here-cookie/scene thing, didnā€™t I? But mostly, thank you for the change! :slight_smile:

(A way to tell it to cookie anyone who joins later too would still be cool, but I can understand that being a pain since itā€™d have to keep track somehow.)

Oops - so you did. I corrected the release notes, thanks. (3-letter R name mixup :slight_smile: )

I understand the desire for cookie-ing proactively, but as you say - thatā€™s just kind of problematic to implement. MUSH commands are instantaneous. To code one with memory for something it needs to do in the future would be a big pain, and - frankly - more trouble than cookies are worth. You can always cookie/scene a second time if somebody else joins to catch any stragglers.

1 Like

load config fixed it. Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just noticed that people are allowed to spend Luck even when they have none. It leaves them sitting at 0.

1 Like

So Iā€™ve upgraded a game to .51 and most of the menu drop downs are broken. Ran ā€˜load configā€™ did not help. The Admin menu works fine so I checked the website config file and all the names have been changed to ā€˜routeā€™. I changed one back to ā€˜pageā€™ and now the drop down menu works fine.

Oddly I upgraded a second game and everything works fine there. :confused:

The names were supposed to be changed to route. Are you sure your web portal was upgraded to 51 and not just the game? You might need to do a force-refresh in the browser to get the latest javascript reloaded.

I have force refreshed it and tried it on different browsers and different computers. The portal is still listed as version V0.48 thoughā€¦

Iā€™ve upgraded 3 different ares games and had 3 different results. All were from version .50.

1: Worked just fine. Game and portal both .51
2: Game updated but web portal did not.
3: Neither the game or the web portal will update.

If it helps when I run website/deploy I get this message.

%% Web portal deployed: yarn install v1.16.0
[1/5] Validating package.jsonā€¦
[2/5] Resolving packagesā€¦
[3/5] Fetching packagesā€¦
info fsevents@1.2.4: The platform ā€œlinuxā€ is incompatible with this module.
info ā€œfsevents@1.2.4ā€ is an optional dependency and failed compatibility check. Excluding it from installation.
info fsevents@1.1.3: The platform ā€œlinuxā€ is incompatible with this module.
info ā€œfsevents@1.1.3ā€ is an optional dependency and failed compatibility check. Excluding it from installation.
[4/5] Linking dependenciesā€¦
warning " > bootstrap@4.3.1" has incorrect peer dependency ā€œpopper.js@^1.14.7ā€.
error An unexpected error occurred: ā€œEACCES: permission denied, mkdir ā€˜/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/tap-parser/node_modules/js-yamlā€™ā€.
info If you think this is a bug, please open a bug report with the information provided in ā€œ/home/ares/ares-webportal/yarn-error.logā€.
info Visit https://yarnpkg.com/en/docs/cli/install for documentation about this command.

Missing yarn packages:
Package: bootstrap

• Specified: ^4.3.1
  • Installed: 4.0.0

Package: js-yaml

• Specified: ^3.13.1
  • Installed: 3.10.0

Package: fstream

• Specified: ^1.0.12
  • Installed: 1.0.11

Run yarn to install missing dependencies.

Stack Trace and Error Report: /tmp/error.dump.de89f19dab2ff2aa2f70c9e2f06b4d44.log
An error occurred in the constructor for ember-cli-dependency-checker at /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-cli-dependency-checker

Done!

Iā€™ve tried updating Yarn but it says itā€™s up to date.

It sounds like youā€™re having some kind of NPM (which is used by yarn) permission error. Thatā€™s a server-side issue thatā€™s not really Ares specific. Not sure what could have caused it.

There are a variety of things you can try. Iā€™d probably start with rebooting the server (not the game, the server itself) and if that doesnā€™t help you can try running yarn cache clean from your ares-webportal directory.

I still canā€™t get it to work. I recently upgraded to ubuntu 18.04, might that have something to do with it?

Ares works fine on 18.04, but itā€™s possible that the upgrade messed with something in your paths or permissions or something like that. Itā€™s Digital Oceanā€™s upgrade scripts, so Iā€™m afraid I really donā€™t know the specifics of what it does to the server.

The fsevent warnings are normal. It seems that your real error is this one: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir ā€˜/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/tap-parser/node_modules/js-yaml If clearing the yarn cache didnā€™t help, you can also try just removing the node_modules directory entirely to let yarn start fresh.

cd ares-webportal
rm -rf node_modules
yarn install

Nope, same thing. Even tried creating an entirely new droplet and installing Ares fresh to see if I could just restore from a backup and the new install wouldnā€™t even launch. Got an error when trying to load the game.

My eyes are starting to cross so Iā€™m gonna take a break and hit it fresh again in a few hours. Thanks for the help.

You got the same permission error even when node_modules wasnā€™t even there? That seems strange. Or was it a different error? Are you sure youā€™re running everything with the ares user and not root?

Definitely doing it as ares and not root. This is what I get when I try to install ares on a fresh droplet with Ubuntu.

2019-06-10 23:32:11 FATAL - Couldnā€™t start the game: error=no acceptor (port is in use or requires root privileges) backtrace=["/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.0/gems/eventmachine-1.2.5/lib/eventmachine.rb:530:in start_tcp_server'", "/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.0/gems/eventmachine-1.2.5/lib/eventmachine.rb:530:instart_serverā€™", ā€œ/home/ares/aresmush/engine/aresmush/server.rb:31:in block in start'", "/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.0/gems/eventmachine-1.2.5/lib/eventmachine.rb:194:inrun_machineā€™ā€, ā€œ/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.0/gems/eventmachine-1.2.5/lib/eventmachine.rb:194:in run'", "/home/ares/aresmush/engine/aresmush/server.rb:22:instartā€™ā€, ā€œ/home/ares/aresmush/engine/aresmush/bootstrapper.rb:72:in start'", "/home/ares/aresmush/Rakefile.rb:27:inblock in <top (required)>ā€™ā€, ā€œ/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.0/gems/rake-12.3.0/lib/rake/task.rb:251:in block in execute'", "/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.0/gems/rake-12.3.0/lib/rake/task.rb:251:ineachā€™ā€]
2019-06-10 23:32:11 WARN - Abnormal shutdown. See if there are any errors above.

• Iā€™m actually having a terrible allergy/pollen day and can barely see. Gonna take an antihistamine, shower, eat dinner, and try again in a bit. Iā€™m sure itā€™s me, Iā€™m sure Iā€™m doing something wrong, I just canā€™t figure out what.

OK thatā€™s a different error than what you were getting before. That one means that either:

a) The game is already running (seems unlikely in your case but I figured Iā€™d mention it) or
b) The hostname that youā€™ve entered in server.yml is not accessible by the droplet. Typically this happens when the DNS hasnā€™t been updated yet or the IP is incorrect, which could be happening because youā€™ve moved to a new droplet.