SUGGESTION: echo switch to preview formatting

think in pennmush was useful for to things for me:

• appending things to a client log (or putting it at the beginning).
    => It already fulfills the first one adequately.
  • easily checking how some things would be evaluated.

Is there a way to be able to preview formatting evaluation? If so, I’d be interested! I haven’t found anything myself yet.

If not, I’d like to suggest a new switch for echo to provide this functionality for the reasons below.

For instance, if I want to send something to someone formatted (txt, page, new plugins, etc), I don’t want to do it blind. Or if I want to just check what my forum message looks like because I want to iterate on formatting quickly.

Added bonus, the suggested implementation would be cross-cutting feature-wise, so it will be future proof for all commands (core or extras plugins) which accept to-be-evaluated user input.

1 Like

Can you give me an example of what you’re looking for? echo This is my %xbblue%xn text%R%TYay. does show you how it would be formatted, same as pennmush think. (Actually ‘echo’ is aliased to ‘think’ for that reason). I use it all the time to preview forum posts, mails, etc, so I’m not understanding what sort of formatting evaluation you’d be needing beyond that.

Ah, hmmm. Okay. I should have been more explicit. My bad.

I am looking to be able to evaluate contextualized variables (Character, for instance). I.E.:

echo/eval Hi my name is %{name}.

I realize that different commands across core or extras plugins might evaluate variables in different contexts (like Character or something else), but I think most will care about a player’s character instance. Anything more would be overkill imho.

1 Like

Ares does not have softcode in the same way that Penn/Tiny does, and does not support variable substitution like that on the client input line. The only formatting options are described in formatting codes, and they are all supported by ‘echo’.

description does support this.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you’re referring to as “this”. You can’t do: describe me=This is my %{name}. - it doesn’t work.

There are a few configuration options that are evaluated by code on the back-end that do have variables like that (chargen’s welcome_message, for instance). But you can’t do that from the client commands.