Spawning: A comedy of errors

• I spawned my channels to a new window by doing <*

• Then it took FS3 combat with it, too.

• So I changed the channel brackets to [ ], which I’m more used to anyway.

• I spawned my channels to a new window by doing [*

• Then it started spawning room exits.

• Then I spent 20 minutes hunting for where to change the punctuation around room exits.

• Then I gave up and posted here.

This is not so much a ‘how do I change room exit punctuation’ thing (although, sure, yes, if you recall easily) as a heads up because I cannot imagine that I will be the only person to run into this issue.

I’m not sure what the solution is, but arg. Spawns.

My solution has always just been to spawn channels by name. Even on the old Penn games, FS3 rolls, OOC comments and Channels all match the same spawn regex.

But if that’s not acceptable you can always change your channel start marker to something like <~ or something.

Btw I missed the other half of your question. If you wanted to change the room exit brackets, change the exit_name method here:

I got used to the brackets in exits because the angle braces used to mess up wikidot. Now with the web portal it shouldn’t matter any more. I just didn’t make them configurable.

Awesome, thanks! I come from a long line of games where people could create their own private channels, and so spawning each by name was extremely tedious - so we got used to being very careful about what goes in brackets, it. I know that’s not often the standard, but hard habits to break.

1 Like