'Recent Scenes' sorting order on Character Pages

Both the character pages and Scenes page default to a list of ‘Recent Scenes’. At present, they both sort by order of scenes being posted, rather than by IC date order.

On the ‘Scenes’ page, this makes sense, because it’s reasonably likely anyone looking there is looking for what’s recently been posted.

On a character page, however, it just feels out of order to me, and given it’s the default display there, I would much prefer they be sorted there by IC date (as I’m fairly sure they were, for a while)!

Faraday’s asked for broader input on how people feel about that, so here is a poll!

On character pages, the default tab, Recent Scenes, should be sorted by:

• IC date, regardless of posted order (So a scene posted today but backdated to last week would appear below one posted and dated yesterday.)
  • Date posted, regardless of IC order (So a scene posted today but backdated to last week would appear above one posted and dated yesterday.)

0 voters

Thank you for voting!

1 Like

Thanks Ren. Just to clarify - this poll only applies to the “Recent” tab. The Popular tab will continue to remain sorted by Popularity, and the other tabs are already sorted by IC date.

Just to be sure (now that I already voted, lol, I should ask these questions first).

If the game is on scene 3000, and I just finished/shared scene 2000, and it’s now a month behind the IC date, I’d have to go through the “All” option on my character page till I got to where that scene was chronologically?

No, the Recent tab will still include the 20 (ish?) most recently-shared scenes. They just would be sorted by IC date, not OOC date.

10/4. That makes sense.

Which incidentally is why it currently sorts by OOC date… since it’s making the selections by “most recently shared”, it seems kind of weird to me to have, like:

scene 3000 from yesterday
scene 2999 from two days ago
scene 2979 from a week ago
SKIPPING all sorts of scenes that took place in the last few weeks
scene 2000, from a month ago

It kind of makes it look like you didn’t do anything between 2979 and 2000, just because 2000 was more recently shared.

1 Like

I’m with you.

I prefer having “Recent” show by share date, personally, especially since that keeps it consistent across the site: Having the side-bar and the scenes page show by share-date and the character page show by IC-date seems counter-intuitive to me. (And it’ll be a thing that has to be explained or documented somewhere, 'cause people will ask…)

1 Like

I don’t think it really makes it look that way. And I’d rather have character pages default to ‘all’ and be sorted by IC time if inconsistency is that big an issue here. (Which says something about how much the ordering bugs me, since I’m usually kind of a stickler for consistency.) You can already see the sidebar and scenes page by share date by default – you see the sidebar even on the same page.

I’d say more but I’m already late, so… back later!

2 Likes

tl;dr: Voting for ‘All’ to be the default display when you click the ‘Scenes’ tab on a character page, and leaving the functionality of the ‘Recent’ tab alone.

If I use the Recent tab, it’s probably because I’m looking for a scene I recently did, and I’m looking for it according to the order of the scenes I participated in, not its place in the IC chronology. If I wanted to look for it based on chronology, I’d be using the ‘All’ tab anyway.

It probably does make the most sense to have ‘All’ be the default tab anyway, since it offers the coherent narrative of that character’s story.

EDIT: That being said, if somebody posts a cutscene/vignette-type thing and people miss seeing it on the sidebar before it falls off of the bottom, there’s a good chance it’ll go largely unseen unless someone takes the time to go look in ‘recent,’ so that’s a consideration. But, I still personally think making Recent also sort by chronology sort of muddies up the utility of that feature.

3 Likes

Definitely IC Date Order!

3 Likes

Agreed that IC date order seems the way to go. Especially since I might start a scene on IC 10-8-19, and not share it for a few days. So when I share it a day or two after the actual IC scene date, and all the IC scenes that came after it, appear to come before it… it drives me a little nuts. :wink:

EDITED to say, I would also go for defaulting to ‘all.’ That would work fine, too.

3 Likes