Node issues on v0.86 Upgrade

Testing the v0.86 upgrade on my test box, I am seeing quite a few Node errors upon running upgrade/finish that I’m not quite sure how to resolve.

%% Redeploying web portal.  This may take a couple minutes.  You'll see a message when it's done.
%% Web portal deployed: npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-copy
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/get-caller-file
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/invert-kv
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/js-levenshtein
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/lcid
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/object.getownpropertydescriptors
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/optimist/node_modules/minimist
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/optimist
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/os-locale
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/require-main-filename
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/sass-graph/node_modules/camelcase
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/sass-graph/node_modules/is-fullwidth-code-point
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/sass-graph/node_modules/string-width
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/sass-graph/node_modules/which-module
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/sass-graph/node_modules/yargs-parser
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/tar/node_modules/fstream
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/@sindresorhus/is
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/ansi-regex
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/camelcase
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/cli-boxes
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/get-stream
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/http-cache-semantics
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/is-npm
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/normalize-url
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/cacheable-request
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/p-cancelable
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/got
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/registry-auth-token
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/registry-url
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/semver
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/package-json
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/latest-version
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/strip-ansi
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/string-width
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/ansi-align
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/boxen
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/util.promisify/node_modules/has-symbols
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/util.promisify
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/whatwg-fetch
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-simple-auth/node_modules/ember-fetch
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/is-fullwidth-code-point
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/string-width
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/wrap-ansi
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/sass-graph/node_modules/cliui
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/xregexp
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-template-lint/node_modules/decamelize
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/y18n
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/sass-graph/node_modules/yargs
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/optimist/node_modules
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/tar/node_modules
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/update-notifier/node_modules/@sindresorhus
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/util.promisify/node_modules
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-simple-auth/node_modules
npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules
npm ERR! code ENOENT
npm ERR! syscall access
npm ERR! path /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-copy
npm ERR! errno -2
npm ERR! enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, access '/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-copy'
npm ERR! enoent This is related to npm not being able to find a file.
npm ERR! enoent 

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /home/ares/.npm/_logs/2020-10-19T16_38_08_391Z-debug.log
- Building
Environment: production
- Building
- building... 
Killed

Done!

After seeing this, I tried chmod -R 775 on the node_modules in the event it was some permissions error, since I noticed some of the folders in node_modules were just 755. A re-run of upgrade/finish after I did that yielded this:

%% Redeploying web portal.  This may take a couple minutes.  You'll see a message when it's done.
%% Web portal deployed: npm WARN ember-simple-auth@3.0.0 requires a peer of ember-fetch@^7.0.0 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@2.1.3 (node_modules/fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@2.1.3: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"linux","arch":"x64"})
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.13 (node_modules/watchpack-chokidar2/node_modules/fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@1.2.13: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"linux","arch":"x64"})

up to date in 17.341s
- Building
- Building
- building... 
DEPRECATION: The use of the private `{{-in-element}}` is deprecated, please refactor to the public `{{in-element}}`. ('ember-popper/templates/components/ember-popper-targeting-parent.hbs' @ L1:C0)  [deprecation id: glimmer.private-in-element]
        at logDeprecationStackTrace (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:1926:21)
        at HANDLERS.<computed> (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:2023:9)
        at raiseOnDeprecation (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:1953:9)
        at HANDLERS.<computed> (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:2023:9)
        at invoke (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:2035:9)
        at deprecate (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:1991:28)
        at BlockStatement (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:10726:59)
        at visitNode (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:7738:16)
        at visitArray (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:7829:20)
DEPRECATION: The use of the private `{{-in-element}}` is deprecated, please refactor to the public `{{in-element}}`. ('ember-popper/templates/components/ember-popper.hbs' @ L1:C0)  [deprecation id: glimmer.private-in-element]
        at logDeprecationStackTrace (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:1926:21)
        at raiseOnDeprecation (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:1953:9)
        at invoke (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:2035:9)
        at deprecate (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:1991:28)
        at BlockStatement (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:10726:59)
        at visitNode (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:7738:16)
        at visitArray (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/ember-source/dist/ember-template-compiler.js:7829:20)
DEPRECATION: The use of the private `{{-in-element}}` is deprecated, please refactor to the public `{{in-element}}`. ('ember-bootstrap/templates/components/bs-modal-simple.hbs' @ L1:C0)  [deprecation id: glimmer.private-in-element]
DEPRECATION: The use of the private `{{-in-element}}` is deprecated, please refactor to the public `{{in-element}}`. ('ember-bootstrap/templates/components/bs-modal.hbs' @ L1:C0)  [deprecation id: glimmer.private-in-element]
- cleaning up
cleaning up...
- cleaning up
Built project successfully. Stored in "dist/".
File sizes:
 - dist/assets/ares-webportal-35d421156fd26bc065cb9bf91351e8f8.css: 177.31 KB (25.47 KB gzipped)
 - dist/assets/ares-webportal-bc239f2861b6c7bfa92b2e3d8d79d673.js: 1.04 MB (121.07 KB gzipped)
 - dist/assets/vendor-4793aa0a823a2d130c8ab871c8319a99.js: 3.74 MB (866.48 KB gzipped)
 - dist/assets/vendor-651a2e8fe124f798029d3105d4350a9a.css: 6 KB (2.19 KB gzipped)
 - dist/scripts/ace_editor-0196270d42892dcac666a8754d514828.js: 364.44 KB (101.24 KB gzipped)
 - dist/scripts/alertify.min-1dfc05da2f216b35ce3565ae32389731.js: 35.02 KB (9.42 KB gzipped)
 - dist/scripts/ansi_up-158566dc1ff8f2804de972f7e841e2f6.js: 10.76 KB (2.83 KB gzipped)
 - dist/scripts/aresweb_version-b3bcf1e12249f5abe0d6784ca84aab17.js: 30 B (50 B gzipped)
 - dist/scripts/music_player-2464b1d0edbbfe5487df7a2912d8c14b.js: 1.44 KB (616 B gzipped)

Done!

I am not familiar with Node so not quite sure what best to do (or why there were permissions errors in the first place). Thanks for looking :frowning:

Usually you get permission issues like that when you run ares scripts as some other user (like root) rather than the ‘ares’ user.

I would suggest doing this to reset all your permissions and ensure you have no issues going forward:

cd ares-webportal
rm -rf node_modules
sudo chown -R ares *
sudo chgrp -R ares *

Then try the deploy again. The rest of the build output looks fine. Those deprecation warnings are within one of the ember addons that hasn’t been updated yet. It’s not a problem.

That’s very strange. I could swear I only use the ares user to log in. Only thing I use root or sudo for is the server reboot. Either way I ran these and it seems to be working now, thanks!

When upgrading the actual production game, I did have to power cycle my droplet 3-4 times because it seemed to keep running out of memory on website/deploy.

That’s strange. 86 includes a change that actually reduces the memory needed for a website/deploy. Restarting once may be necessary if your droplet has some pending OS updates, or the last OS update didn’t free up all the memory it used (which seems to happen with annoying frequency). However, I’ve never heard of a droplet needing to be rebooted multiple times.

Yeah :frowning: Not sure what was up with my droplet but it would run into the ‘Out of Memory’ thing and stop responding to shell commands. The first time I did assume it was leftover OS updates, but having to do it 1-2 more times was odd. Will just see if it keeps happening in the future, thanks!

This happened to me with 0.85. Every time I tried to deploy the website, it would stall out and eventually return:

Killed

[WARN] (broccoli-terser-sourcemap) Minifying "scripts/alertify.min.js" took: 21754ms (more than 20,000ms)

This happened with multiple reboots, same error. Eventually, in the interests of trying whatever sorcery I thought might help, I rebooted the server, logged out of the shell entirely, and ran the website/deploy inside the game, and it finished in a normal amount of time with no errors.

Yeah there was an ember upgrade around 84/85 that increased the memory usage in the ember build process and it was running close to what the 1GB droplets could tolerate. But I changed some build options in 86 that reduced the RAM usage. It should be better now. If folks are still having issues with 86, it would be helpful to know a few things:

1. What version of ubuntu you’re on. This is displayed right when you log into the server shell, and will usually be 18.04 or 20.04.

2. The relative db size of your game. You can get a count of rooms/exits/chars in the server command.

3. Whether you do active development on your game (git & reloading code) outside of the automated upgrades.

4. Anything else special about your droplet, like if you’re running other things on it.

1. Ubuntu 16.04.6 (LTS) x64
  2. Characters: 37 / Rooms: 63 / Exits: 116
  3. Occasionally
  4. Nope, just runs an Ares sandbox

Hope it helps. :slight_smile:

1. Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS x64
  2. Characters: 134 / Rooms: 119 / Exits: 228
  3. I have custom code/additions on the game, though I don’t actively develop or do git/reloads frequently.
  4. Nope! It’s just for the Ares game it is running.

Thanks and also hope this helps!

@Altair @KarmaBum Thanks. Are you guys still having issues upgrading since .86 though?

I had to reboot the server today, and all seems fine.

shutdown went fine, and everything came up okay. I logged back into the shell and had:

[  282.686298] Out of memory: Kill process 2834 (ember) score 434 or sacrifice child
[  282.688384] Killed process 2834 (ember) total-vm:1361232kB, anon-rss:435296kb, file-rss:0kB

Just to see what happened, I ran website/deploy again; took 58 seconds to complete and output:

%% Web portal deployed: npm WARN ember-simple-auth@3.0.0 requires a peer of ember-fetch@^7.0.0 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN ws@7.3.1 requires a peer of bufferutil@^4.0.1 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN ws@7.3.1 requires a peer of utf-8-validate@^5.0.2 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@2.1.3 (node_modules/fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@2.1.3: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"linux","arch":"x64"})
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.13 (node_modules/watchpack-chokidar2/node_modules/fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@1.2.13: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"linux","arch":"x64"})

up to date in 18.651s
- Building
- Building
- building... 
- cleaning up
cleaning up...
- cleaning up
Built project successfully. Stored in "dist/".
File sizes:
 - dist/assets/ares-webportal-35d421156fd26bc065cb9bf91351e8f8.css: 177.31 KB (25.5 KB gzipped)
 - dist/assets/ares-webportal-5b7044b388f78ce833e2049626c49580.js: 1.04 MB (120.95 KB gzipped)
 - dist/assets/vendor-4793aa0a823a2d130c8ab871c8319a99.js: 3.74 MB (867.29 KB gzipped)
 - dist/assets/vendor-651a2e8fe124f798029d3105d4350a9a.css: 6 KB (2.19 KB gzipped)
 - dist/scripts/ace_editor-0196270d42892dcac666a8754d514828.js: 364.44 KB (101.26 KB gzipped)
 - dist/scripts/alertify.min-1dfc05da2f216b35ce3565ae32389731.js: 35.02 KB (9.42 KB gzipped)
 - dist/scripts/ansi_up-158566dc1ff8f2804de972f7e841e2f6.js: 10.76 KB (2.83 KB gzipped)
 - dist/scripts/aresweb_version-b3bcf1e12249f5abe0d6784ca84aab17.js: 30 B (50 B gzipped)
 - dist/scripts/music_player-2464b1d0edbbfe5487df7a2912d8c14b.js: 1.44 KB (616 B gzipped)

Done!

Everything is running fine.

1 Like

I haven’t had to reboot or anything yet, but I will keep a lookout on performance when I go up to v0.87!