Minor Nuisances

If you’re straw-polling: Just one notification is my preference. 20-30 minutes ahead seems reasonable.

I would expect/assume the person running the event to also announce it when it was starting, so I wouldn’t need a second automatic reminder.

1 Like

The 80.0 changes to the Active Scenes list is – very hard for me to cope with. I see the intent there, but what happens on my end is that it’s become a massive scrollfest and very hard to actually keep track of when one is doing a number of slow scenes over the portal (I have to do this, I’m on Europe time and rarely around when other players are, to do things ‘live’). The XP sheet, similarly, is now six miles long and at least to me, very hard to overview.

Is there any way it can perhaps be turned into a toggle to the way it was? I hate being that ‘nothing must ever change’ guy, but this is going to be very hard on eyes and wrists.

2 Likes

It’s not going to blanketly change back the way it was, but it’s also not cast in stone. If there are specific things that are troublesome, I can certainly look into them. To your feedback specifically, I can make a few changes to reduce the amount of vertical real estate each scene occupies. Perhaps it might be helpful to have the scene desc/details toggle so there’s a quick view and a detailed view.

Not sure if anyone else cares about this, but, could we possibly have a toggle to turn off the luck spend jobs? I don’t mind it showing up in the logs still, but it’d be nice to not have, well, a lot of luck jobs to wade through when the players all get real excited. >.>

2 Likes

Another minor thing someone requested: would it be possible to get an attribute dropdown to adjust what attribute is used when rolling an action skill, in the scene rolling dialog? Rather than needing to hand type it out.

1 Like

Optional, though?

If I have to reroll on the portal, it’s faster to type/paste “Melee+Reflexes” than choose from two drop-downs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a fair suggestion, but rolls using an alternate attribute are rare enough that I don’t feel the need to add complexity to the UI for that scenario sorry.

I nested a [[tabview]] and pulled an error:

[[tabview]]
[[tab Whatever]]
[[include page_with_tabview_in_it]]
[[/tab]]
[[/tabview]]

And then the included page was just another tabview.

2020-08-15 13:56:35 ERROR - Error in Web Request: client= error=undefined method <<' for nil:NilClass backtrace=["/home/ares/aresmush/plugins/website/wiki_markdown/markdown_finalizer.rb:94:in block in process’", “/home/ares/aresmush/plugins/website/wiki_markdown/markdown_finalizer.rb:17:in each'", "/home/ares/aresmush/plugins/website/wiki_markdown/markdown_finalizer.rb:17:in process’”, “/home/ares/aresmush/plugins/website/wiki_markdown/wiki_markdown_formatter.rb:69:in to_html'", "/home/ares/aresmush/plugins/website/public/website_api.rb:10:in format_markdown_for_html’”, “/home/ares/aresmush/plugins/website/web/get_wiki_page_handler.rb:40:in handle'", "/home/ares/aresmush/engine/aresmush/commands/dispatcher.rb:145:in block (2 levels) in on_web_request’”, “/home/ares/aresmush/engine/aresmush/commands/dispatcher.rb:139:in each'", "/home/ares/aresmush/engine/aresmush/commands/dispatcher.rb:139:in block in on_web_request’”, “/home/ares/aresmush/engine/aresmush/error_block.rb:6:in `with_error_handling’”]

1 Like

I’m not getting that same error on my test game, so it might be something specific with the other page content.

Regardless, however, nesting tabview controls is not supported. So even without the error, it won’t work as you expect.

[[tabview]] is just a handy shortcut for the bootstrap tab view, though, so you can always do it with raw HTML if you really need it.

I think v0.82 mentioned that vistas were fixed to show on the portal, but they still don’t seem to be showing up.

It seems to be working for me - can you give me more details?

Worth noting - the vistas on a scene temproom are set when it’s first created, or when the scene location changes. So if the scene pre-dated the fix, or if a vista is updated on its grid-room counterpart, you won’t see it update in the scene automatically.

On the locations list or scenes? Maybe I thought the fix was for something else. The vistas aren’t showing when you check a location on the portal.

Oh, yeah that was just for scenes. The ‘locations’ page just shows the base desc. It doesn’t incorporate weather or vista dynamic views. I guess it could, if folks wanted it to. I just didn’t see the location page as a “what am I looking at right now” view so much as a general “what room is this” view.

1 Like

Tiiny suggestion time: When a closed scene is restarted, the portal will pick up a notification – but the client doesn’t. Clients will notify if you have new mail, though – might it be an idea to set it so that restarting scenes mails everyone in them that it’s been restarted? It’s a tad meh to realise that someone has been waiting for you a few hours but didn’t realise you don’t play from the portal.

There’s no presumption of participation for in-game players because in-game you can only be involved in one scene at a time. So even if you did know that the scene was restarted, the other person could still end up waiting for hours because the in-game person is in a different scene. I think this is one of those cases that’s better solved with player to player communication rather than additional code tools.

Unshared scenes don’t seem to be falling off after 20 days (which is what we have set in the config). There’s one from June lurking in my history. Is anyone else having an issue with unshared, long-stopped scenes scenes not clearing after the expiry?

I haven’t seen that issue. Can you share your config settings for unshared_scene_deletion_days and unshared_scene_cleanup_cron?
Also you can check your log file for error messages. There might be something interrupting the cleanup process.

On the web portal, for character pages, it’d be really cool to be able to specify a manual order for the custom Profile tabs.

3 Likes

I would really really really love to have my handle in lowercase.

1 Like

‘help areas’ doesn’t include area/set.

I had to dig around and found the syntax in ‘help building_tutorial’

2 Likes