Minor Nuisances

I think what you’re saying about <roll options> sounds pretty good! Given what brought this up, it might help if the example line also includes the pure number, like:

For example, roll Firearms, roll 4, or roll Firearms+Wits-1.

…partly because until you mentioned it here and I tested it, for some reason I kind of expected a number alone to get rolled like a BG skill – so, plus my character’s Wits rather than the default 2. I think having it specified as one of the options might help there, because I already knew ‘ability’ could be either of the other two types.

Thank you for the info on the notifications! I’m pleased do know games can do it. Now I just have to try to convince them they should. :wink:

1 Like

Tiny one: The “notes” page for characters doesn’t have a title - <title></title> - so it just shows up as the URL.

1 Like

I’ve realised I missed one of the character icon types!

.log-icon,
.relationship-icon,
.small-profile-icon,
.tiny-profile-icon {
    object-fit: cover;
    object-position: center 10%;
}
.log-icon {
    height: 150px;
    width: 150px;
}
.relationship-icon {
    height: 100px;
    width: 100px;
}

Sorry about that!

1 Like

If you’re writing a pose in the portal, notice a typo in your previous pose, and correct it using the ‘typo’ button, whatever you had written in the box for the next pose disappears. Can anything be done about that?

2 Likes

I actually find this to be a problem almost everywhere a user inputs a bit name and that name is then used in the server message it sends back.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Trouble Finding Help Topics

So, related to the NPC rolls - CAN we get labeled NPC uncontested rolls added in? It’d be nice for the logs, so it’s not just ’ rolls 4’ and so on. It’s okay if it’s way behind other things, but it’d be nice.

Oh…I see this in the 0.72 notes:

roll <character>/<ability> now lets you specify a NPC name. (suggested by Ren)`

So, just to be clear, what I think Ren meant was:

roll <some text of any kind>/#

This might? explain why it doesn’t work on GH, though on Savage Skies one can type roll TEXT/# with no problem.

Yes, you can specify any kind of text for the NPC name. roll Some Test/4
Not sure why it wouldn’t be working on GH - it works on other games.

Cuz that’s how I roll. (Get it? Cuz it’s about the roll command?)

Anyway. This was me. I fixed it this morning. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dunno if this is something that can be fixed or is just something that admin will have to know how to resolve but…

If a character has errors in their gallery (e.g., left out a folder name in the file list), it sends their profile page to a sad Picard and puts in the error log:

2020-03-08 13:55:20 ERROR - Web client error: You must provide a param folder. : Error

I worked around it (just did /char/###/edit and fixed the file names).

Could you please check for merge conflicts in the gallery code? I could’ve sworn I fixed that already, and I can’t reproduce it on my test server.

I don’t see any, and I just reset everything in the profile folder to vanilla (I think I had to when the gallery was patched anyway), but let me keep digging.

Just testing on my end, it only happens if I do /file.jpg - if it’s just a bad path (folder/folder/file.jpg), you get the broken image and the profile loads fine; same with just file.jpg but the leading / kills it.

1 Like

Ah, yeah, that’s just an edge case I missed. Will fix, thx.

1 Like

A nice thing might be if the list of scenes one is in were made sticky on scenes-play page. Then when one is scrolled down the page to have the log and the entry window onscreen, the list would still be visible and it would be easy to see when something updates and to click between them without needing to scroll up.

I’m currently using position: sticky and top: 1em in stylebot for that page, and it’s working nicely. It could be an issue if someone had really a lot of scenes going on for one character at once, but even on my eensy screen I could fit about eight before I had a problem…

1 Like

scene/clearlog reports success twice, and I think it tells everyone in the room that “you” clear the scene log.

1 Like

If you emit nothing by mistake (emit[space bar][enter]), it throws an error:

2020-05-06 13:43:50 ERROR - Error in emit : client=148 error=undefined method scan' for nil:NilClass backtrace=["/home/ares/aresmush/plugins/scenes/helpers/posing.rb:171:in format_quote_color’", “/home/ares/aresmush/plugins/scenes/helpers/posing.rb:214:in custom_format'", "/home/ares/aresmush/plugins/scenes/helpers/posing.rb:41:in block in emit_pose’”, “/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/ohm-3.1.1/lib/ohm.rb:123:in block (2 levels) in each'", "/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/ohm-3.1.1/lib/ohm.rb:123:in each’”, “/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/ohm-3.1.1/lib/ohm.rb:123:in block in each'", "/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/ohm-3.1.1/lib/ohm.rb:122:in each’”, “/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/ohm-3.1.1/lib/ohm.rb:122:in each_slice'", "/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/ohm-3.1.1/lib/ohm.rb:122:in each’”, “/home/ares/aresmush/plugins/scenes/helpers/posing.rb:38:in `emit_pose’”]

1 Like

This may be intentional, so I thought I’d call it a “nuisance” rather than a bug but… An admin can teleport to any room (even temp scene rooms) and join a private scene, read the scene, add people, etc.

1 Like

Well, it’s a known thing–the teleport command has always allowed you to teleport into a private room/scene since MUs immemorial.

While Ares doesn’t provide any out-of-the-box tools for admins to just casually read private scenes, there is no guarantee of privacy from malicious admin willing to use tools dishonestly to manipulate the scene system. The most extreme example being directly peeking into the database. This is also no different than other MU platforms, where malicious admins could turn on command logging, lurk DARK in rooms, examine pose log objects, etc.

ETA: All that said… I don’t mind preventing folks from teleporting into private temproom scenes, but that doesn’t really address the broader issue of untrustworthy admins. As the Ares game privacy article says:

Just as with any online service, though, any data transmitted to the server and/or stored in the database is ultimately accessible to the game owner and anyone they choose to share it with. They may install custom loggers or custom commands, or crack open the database manually. Sensitive information is probably best kept off-game.

Yeah, that’s why I didn’t want to report it as a bug. More a… wasn’t sure it was known as a thing people could do. My co-admin did it accidentally at one point, and I just remembered yesterday when I was screwing around on a sandbox.

Anyway, it’s not a big deal. Just be careful where you teleport. :wink: