Internal Alts from a single account

So, I am trying to find something and I’m not sure how to make it work. I would like to be able to have players have a single account on the webportal and control multiple characters. Now, I’m going for simple here. Basically just have alt names available from the scene drop down menu rather like scene NPCs, and a simple sheet that doesn’t actually affect any rolls. I’ve been looking at the ability assign staff npcs and have wondered if it’s possible to use that with a little more specificity. My players are used to PBEs and I think it would be easier to teach them to use scenes in the webportal than the MUSH proper (much as I miss MOOing.)

Example: Player A has a captain and a cook and is bouncing between scenes. Currently they would have to the emit command from a ‘player’ character ‘main character’, use different browsers to log in to the web portal, or log in and out of every character.

Is there a simple way around this? I’m probably a decade rusty on my MOO and MUSH coding and am trying to learn Ruby and JS. So there’s a LOT of playing catch up on the code end right now trying to knock the rust off and figure Ares out. We could probably use the Wiki to house the character sheets and just use the emit if the worst comes to the worst, but I’d rather see if there’s a way to specify.

I’m not overly worried about the game mechanics at the moment. It’s all free form. Being able to roll a D anything and just flat add to it is likely enough to handle any disputes, and stats can be added as simple text numbers if I can figure this out.

1 Like

If the players link their characters using AresCentral player handles, you can pose from any character that is listed as a ‘participant’ in a scene. You can always add a different alt as a participant temporarily, and remove them when you go to share the scene so they don’t show up in the final characters list.

Other than that, I’m afraid what you’re looking for is not possible. Sharing characters via the internal player tags is infeasible for security reasons (there is no protection to keep me from saying someone is my alt and then having access to their stuff). Similarly, logging in with a single account is not feasible due to architectural reasons. There was a decision made early on in Ares to make the player accounts (handles) fully optional, and that means that everything is based around characters, not players.

Thanks for the response. I’ll have to approach things from a different angle then. Sadly I’m the only player in the current group who knows anything about MUSHes. Thanks again for the quick reply.

I don’t know if I’m missing something about what you need, but it seems like there might be a misunderstanding…

Example: Player A has a captain and a cook and is bouncing between scenes. Currently they would have to the emit command from a ‘player’ character ‘main character’, use different browsers to log in to the web portal, or log in and out of every character.

That’s not actually true if they link their characters to a player handle with AresCentral.

For example, I create three “characters” on the game, and link all of them to my AresCentral account:

• Faraday, which is an OOC alt set playerbit on to designate as a player not an IC character.
  • Mary, my cook
  • Bob, my captain

I start or join a scene with Faraday, so now I can control it from my Faraday browser. I then also add either Mary or Bob to the scene (depending on who’s in it). That lets me pose as them in the scene.

You never actually need to log in with Mary or Bob. All forum posts, mail, etc. would just go through your Faraday character.

Technically it doesn’t even matter whether you pose as Faraday or Mary/Bob - all that affects is which character icon appears next to the pose. Everybody could just pose with their player bits, and just rely on the text in the emit to figure out who’s talking: “Mary put the cake in the oven…” If you’re just going to emit with your player bits, you don’t even need to link them with AresCentral. Just emit.