Error installing AresMUSH: "AresMUSH failed to start."

So, I’m following this tutorial (DigitalOcean Self-Install - AresMUSH).

Everything goes fine up until “ Starting the game.” I get to “Deploying website.” and then this happens:

@fortawesome/fontawesome-free@6.4.0 postinstall /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/@fortawesome/fontawesome-free
node attribution.js

Font Awesome Free 6.4.0 by @fontawesome - https://fontawesome.com
License - Free License | Font Awesome (Icons: CC BY 4.0, Fonts: SIL OFL 1.1, Code: MIT License)
Copyright 2023 Fonticons, Inc.

core-js@2.6.10 postinstall /home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/core-js
node postinstall || echo “ignore”

Thank you for using core-js ( GitHub - zloirock/core-js: Standard Library ) for polyfilling JavaScript standard library!

The project needs your help! Please consider supporting of core-js on Open Collective or Patreon:

core-js - Open Collective
Denis Pushkarev | creating core-js | Patreon

Also, the author of core-js ( zloirock (Denis Pushkarev) · GitHub ) is looking for a good job -)

added 2512 packages in 138.867s
/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/hosted-git-info/lib/index.js:63
#fill (template, opts) {
^

SyntaxError: Unexpected token ‘(’
at wrapSafe (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:915:16)
at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:963:27)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1027:10)
at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:863:32)
at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:708:14)
at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:887:19)
at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:74:18)
at Object. (/home/ares/ares-webportal/node_modules/npm-package-arg/lib/npa.js:8:19)
at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:999:30)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1027:10)
cp: cannot stat ‘dist/*’: No such file or directory
AresMUSH failed to start. The game may already be running. If not, check the highest-numbered log in game/logs for errors, or try starting the game in debug mode.

Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

Hmm, that error is coming out of something nodeJS related, not Ares itself, so I’m not sure what’s up. But try this.

cd ares-webportal
bin/update_npm

If there are any errors, please post them here or PM me. Otherwise reboot the server using sudo reboot and see if the game comes up then.

Running that command seemed to work without errors, but accessing it either via the web portal or by client fails. The web gives me a 403/forbidden error, and the client gives me ‘connection refused’.

Edit: now the web is doing something weirder; rather than give me a 403/forbidden, it just loads and loads but never actually displays anything.

Are you sure your DNS is set up properly? The hostname must be working before the game will be able to start properly / you’ll be able to connect to it.

(Btw, using the forum is fine, but you’ll get more immediate feedback on the discord. If you don’t already have an invite, just PM me here for one.)