Wiki Capabilities

1. Can the wiki do redirects, like mediawiki does? So for example, I can link to ‘magical’ and it is set up to redirect that link to ‘magic’ or whatever.

2. I know that somewhere I saw that one could install further wiki plug-ins to enhance usability. At least I think I did. Where would one browse those?

I’m not sure how MW does it - I’m a Wikidot girl. I’m not sure I can make it work with a [[redirect Magic]] sort of tag embedded in the page itself (maybe, I dunno) but I could certainly support a configurable alias system, just like you can do command shortcuts. Would that work?

Well you can’t really install a plugin, per se, but you can customize the code with your own tags. I should probably create a tutorial for that :slight_smile: In the mean time you can peruse the existing ones in aresmush/plugins/website/wiki_markdown and probably figure it out.

Most of them are pretty simple - see if a line matches a regular expression, and if it does - parse it and return either HTML (for a post-processing extension) or markdown (for a pre-processing extension). Extensions are registered in plugins/website/wiki_markdown/wiki_markdown_extensions.rb.

Yeah, and I don’t know how (or even if!) it translates to wikidot. In mediawiki, you’d create both pages, but on one add a ‘#REDIRECT [[Pagename]].’

But it’s not the how that’s important so much as the what. An alias system would be largely the same thing - perhaps even easier. It just keeps us from having to police whether someone remembered to like to ‘Portal’ instead of ‘Portals’.

1 Like

Any chance there could be a page-list based on category? Similar to the tags?

1 Like

By category you mean the first part before the colon of a page name? Like theme:Foo? That seems reasonable.

Yep, that’d be handy. :slight_smile:

Did wiki page aliases happen, or is that still on the ‘for later’ list?

It should be in there. See the wiki_aliases config option.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks. I thought I’d remembered seeing it somewhere, but I couldn’t remember where.