Vehicle Combat HUD Issue

So I’m exploring the FS3 combat system to get a hang of things and, for some reason, when I have the combatants pilot something like a Raider or a Viper we get the message that (Name) takes over piloting Viper-E and whatever but the HUD doesn’t change. It shows the weapon as Kew and the stance now has the (plt) bit but it doesn’t show what vehicles are in the combat and who is piloting what. Any idea what I may have done wrong?

1 Like

You haven’t done anything wrong. The combat HUD doesn’t display their vehicle due to space constraints and efficiency. It will show (plt) or (pas) at the end of their stance to show that they’re in a vehicle, but it doesn’t display the vehicle type/name. In my experience that’s usually pretty clear either from the PCs knowing each other (i.e. knowing that Maura is a Raptor pilot) or by convention from the NPC names (Raider1, Heavy2, etc.).

You never need to use the actual vehicle name (Viper-E6) for anything. You target the vehicle by targeting the pilot, and you can even join a vehicle by joining the pilot (e.g. combat/passenger Maura to hop in her Raptor). But if you really want to know who’s where, you can use combat/vehicles.