Ruby Gem issues?

Ever since the last week or two, I have started to notice some issues in that I cannot restart Ares with bin/startares. The error I receive is this:

Running database updates.
/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/ffi-1.12.2/lib/ffi/library.rb:112: [BUG] Illegal instruction at 0x00007f4c7cc6ce30
ruby 2.6.3p62 (2019-04-16 revision 67580) [x86_64-linux]

-- Control frame information -----------------------------------------------
c:0030 p:---- s:0143 e:000142 CFUNC  :open
c:0029 p:0022 s:0137 e:000136 BLOCK  /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/ffi-1.12.2/lib/ffi/library.rb:112 [FINISH]
c:0028 p:---- s:0128 e:000127 CFUNC  :each
c:0027 p:0113 s:0124 e:000123 BLOCK  /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/ffi-1.12.2/lib/ffi/library.rb:109 [FINISH]
c:0026 p:---- s:0117 e:000116 CFUNC  :map
c:0025 p:0069 s:0113 e:000112 METHOD /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/ffi-1.12.2/lib/ffi/library.rb:99
c:0024 p:0079 s:0106 e:000105 CLASS  /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/sassc-2.2.1/lib/sassc/native.rb:11
c:0023 p:0007 s:0102 e:000101 CLASS  /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/sassc-2.2.1/lib/sassc/native.rb:6
c:0022 p:0014 s:0099 e:000098 TOP    /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/sassc-2.2.1/lib/sassc/native.rb:5 [FINISH]
c:0021 p:---- s:0096 e:000095 CFUNC  :require_relative
c:0020 p:0021 s:0091 e:000090 TOP    /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/sassc-2.2.1/lib/sassc.rb:31 [FINISH]
c:0019 p:---- s:0088 e:000087 CFUNC  :require
c:0018 p:0231 s:0083 e:000082 TOP    /home/ares/aresmush/engine/aresmush.rb:33 [FINISH]
c:0017 p:---- s:0080 e:000079 CFUNC  :require
c:0016 p:0036 s:0075 e:000074 TOP    /home/ares/aresmush/Rakefile.rb:3 [FINISH]
c:0015 p:---- s:0072 e:000071 CFUNC  :load
c:0014 p:0006 s:0067 e:000066 METHOD /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/rake-12.3.3/lib/rake/rake_module.rb:29
c:0013 p:0200 s:0062 e:000061 METHOD /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/rake-12.3.3/lib/rake/application.rb:703
c:0012 p:0005 s:0056 e:000055 BLOCK  /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/rake-12.3.3/lib/rake/application.rb:104
c:0011 p:0002 s:0053 e:000052 METHOD /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/rake-12.3.3/lib/rake/application.rb:186
c:0010 p:0005 s:0048 e:000047 METHOD /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/rake-12.3.3/lib/rake/application.rb:103
c:0009 p:0014 s:0044 e:000043 BLOCK  /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/rake-12.3.3/lib/rake/application.rb:82
c:0008 p:0002 s:0041 e:000040 METHOD /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/rake-12.3.3/lib/rake/application.rb:186
c:0007 p:0014 s:0036 e:000035 METHOD /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/rake-12.3.3/lib/rake/application.rb:80
c:0006 p:0020 s:0031 e:000030 TOP    /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/rake-12.3.3/exe/rake:27 [FINISH]
c:0005 p:---- s:0028 e:000027 CFUNC  :load
c:0004 p:0109 s:0023 E:0006b0 EVAL   /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/bin/rake:23 [FINISH]
c:0003 p:---- s:0018 e:000017 CFUNC  :eval
c:0002 p:0195 s:0011 E:001fa8 EVAL   /home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/bin/ruby_executable_hooks:24 [FINISH]
c:0001 p:0000 s:0003 E:001840 (none) [FINISH]

-- Ruby level backtrace information ----------------------------------------


You may have encountered a bug in the Ruby interpreter or extension libraries.
Bug reports are welcome.
For details:

I googled around and got to, which led me to a thread that suggested changing my Gemfile to have

gem “sassc”, “< 2.2.0”

rather than the >= 2.2.1 which is currently in the file.

This worked, and I got Ares to restart with the changed Gemfile, but not sure what changed to cause this to happen! Possibly a server update? I’m on ubuntu 18.04.

1 Like

You shouldn’t need to upgrade sass. That looks like an issue with the ruby binary, which is usually remedied by reinstalling ruby. (I think it’s rvm reinstall 2.6.3 but you can google to be sure.)

Sometimes this happens if you install non-essential OS updates (via apt-get upgrade or doing a major system upgrade). I’ve never seen it happen with the standard automatic security updates that are enabled by default, but I suppose it’s conceivable. Nobody else has reported the issue though. Not sure if there’s some other way it can happen.

Ahh, that’s so odd. I’ve gotten this both on a server where I didn’t do the Certbot stuff (the only time I can think of where I would be doing anything with apt-get) and one where I did do it. Maybe I did do something long ago that I’ve forgotten.

I did try rvm reinstall 2.6.3 but that didn’t seem to fix the issue. I may try it again later on when I have another chance to reboot.

But I’m not sure, ultimately! Esp if no one else has experienced similar. So long as changing sass doesn’t appear to be an issue I’ll go on that way for the time being. Thanks for replying though.

I read a bit more about the sassc issue and it seems like it’s related to some kind of cross-platform compatibility thing. Did you maybe have a custom code fork where you’re testing on a local box or VM and committed a Gemfile.lock from there? Or restored a backup from a different machine?

Anyway, if it’s all working for you and you’re happy with it, groovy. No need to pursue it further. But I think that changing the sass version is just allieviating the symptom though, not the underlying problem, because many other games (on both ubuntu 18 and 20) have used the current version of sass without any issues.

Ohh, thanks for taking a look! I’m not sure what happened, I’ve never restored a backup. I tend to just make changes on the server, commit them to git, then pull everything back down after an upgrade. I use Github Desktop for the upgrade step so it might mean something about my Windows machine got into the mix. Unsure, my Gemfile.lock doesn’t look too different from the one in master AresMUSH at a glance, but I’ll probably take a closer look. Thanks.

1 Like