Notifications While Online

As you’ve probably noticed, I created a new notifications framework in the latest releases. The little bell icon in the top-right corner of the web portal.

Opinion poll: Should notifications automatically be marked “read” if you are logged into the game via MU client when the thing happens?

Pros - You won’t see a notification for something you already saw.

Cons - If you’re logged into the game from one location and from the web in another, or logged into the game in the background but primarily using the web portal, you’ll miss a notification.

What do y’all think?

Yes. I’ve actually been finding it super annoying to see notifications up in the portal bar and finding when I click them that it’s the page conversation I’ve just been having on game, or the scene I’m posing in.

I think they should get pop-out notifications in the browser, but be ‘read’ in the notifications page.

1 Like

My usual answer applies here: Is there a way to create a setting that allows people to see both? e.g.:

Portal Notification Badge:
( ) When on portal only
( ) Always

(Aside: I personally call when on the text-based version of the game “logged in to the game”, though I’ve often struggled to be clear when I mean “via telnet” or “via http(s)”, whether or not I mean “portal” or “that game system that isn’t the portal”. Is there an official name for the not-portal instance of the game?)

Should notifications automatically be marked “read” if you are logged into the game via MU client when the thing happens?

Yes, please. :slight_smile:

Is there an official name for the not-portal instance of the game?

I dunno if there’s an official version, but I call it “the MUSH.” e.g., Are you seeing that on the portal or the MUSH? People seem to grasp it.

1 Like

That works for me. I like it. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m pretty inconsistent about it myself, but in my head it’s all “the game”. You’re just either accessing it through the web portal (client is implied) or a MUSH client.

Notifications also seem to notify you when there’s new activity in a job - even if you were the activity.

1 Like

Yeah, it also notifies you if there was activity even if you can’t see the activity, which is silly. Will fix all that up in the next patch, thanks.

2 Likes