Notifications Refinement

Got to admit, the lack of login notices for unread bbposts and unread jobs is throwing me off. Bbposts in particular. I’m used to using them to decimate a lot of IC information like rumors and general knowledge and calls for people to sign up for plots, but kinda feel like it’s going into a void presently.

1 Like

You can just add bbscan and jobs/unread to your onconnect if you want to see that info every time you log in. Is that not working out?

For me personally bbscan is fine, now that I’ve done it, but it took me awhile to realize I needed to (I did not fully grok the implications of notifications about them going away until I realized I had like 5 unread posts I was unaware of) and a handful of other players mentioned also missing posts without realizing they were missing them. It feels like it makes the bboards less useful as a HEY IC THINGS ARE HAPPENING place to yell. Possibly this is me being old and people will adjust to a lack of reminder to check them (or prefer it) and set it themselves if they want it that way, but idk it’s throwing me and makes me less sure about how I should be using them as a public information resource I want people to react to.

ETA: In general I’m more likely to notice client-side notifications than portal ones, especially now that they’re all in one place rather than specific kinds of alerts (I’m not totally sure how best to keep track of whether or not there’ve been poses in my active scenes when I’m not logged on, particularly on mobile, without just keeping the ‘Active Scenes’ page up and periodically refreshing). I’m having a tough time feeling out if this is just the way I’m used to doing it and I need to adjust, or if they’re genuinely less useful than they were before the changes. I’m a little frustrated with them but curious what experiences other players are having because I don’t want to overreact to change.

1 Like

I think that adding ‘bbscan’ and ‘jobs/unread’ to the onconnect by default is probably a good compromise. If someone really wants to turn them off, they can, but at least the norm will be that people get notified.

The thing with notifications is that they’re meant to be things that affect you personally. Your pages, your mails, your job responses. Things of elevated importance.

To use an analogy - when I go to a forum like MSB or this one here, I get a little notification bubble when somebody tags me specifically or sends me a PM, but I don’t get a “notification” every time anybody posts. I can click on the Unread tab for that if I choose to.

I’ve gotten a fair bit of feedback that the old way wasn’t very effective either for some folks, because it’s a fire hose of information. Here are ALL THE THINGS right at login. They’d prefer to consume it at their own pace. If they want to check the forum, they’ll check the forum. The idea here was to give folks flexibility to customize what they see when they log in, instead of adopting a ‘one size fits all’ solution.

I’m not saying the current system is perfect or anything, but I’d suggest folks give it a try for a bit and then see how it’s working.

1 Like

And…so… now that I’ve tried it on a game or two not by own, and gotten spammed with three screens of unread posts? I’m thinking that’s actually not the best solution lol. I’ll see if I can come up with something better.

Being able to have an onconnect as a default would help, yeah, though something less spammy than the whole list of posts appeals. It’s what I’ve got set at the moment and it does the job I need it to do for just me, though.

1 Like

I do think that bbposts at least need to have a notification SOMEWHERE. Even if it’s just a ‘check for new bb posts’ command that you can put into onconnect (and have in it by default). I spend a lot of time on the game and staring at the portal, and I’m still missing bbposts on the regular.

3 Likes

Oops - def forgot those were in there (they make watchable scenes work). I’ll go through and change for the plugin version.

But you do have a tool at your disposal to notify you - forum/scan (aka bbscan). (It needs work, which I’ll do for the next patch, but the tool itself is there). Plus the ‘recent forum posts’ thing on the sidebar of every portal page.

I get that folks want to see that at login, I really do. So do I.

I think what’s getting lost in the shuffle here is the voice of the folks who don’t.

So whether it gets in onconnect by default or not, there are always going to be folks who turn it off, just as there are folks who turn off notifications on their phone.

Count me among the people that don’t want that on by default.

I use the portal for jobs/forums/mail, and don’t really want them back on the login notices. I can cope either way, but I’d rather not have to see them every time I log in to the MUSH, since that’s not where I read them.

1 Like

@Tat - One more small fix for the text code.

In commands/txt_new_scene.rb:

scene = Scenes.start_scene(enactor, "Text", true, false, "Text", true)

I had to change it to:

scene = Scenes.start_scene(enactor, "Text", true, "Text", true)

It was throwing: Error: "wrong number of arguments (given 6, expected 5)"

1 Like

Just a question on PM notifications…

If a character is logged in to the portal but not the MUSH, should they be getting a notification about a PM? The PM shows up with the “new” flag in the chat, but it doesn’t alert in notifications, and I can’t remember if that was on purpose or not.

That’s correct. It doesn’t generate a notification if you’re online. the server side (which generates the notifications) can’t track whether you’re in the chat screen or not, and it would be annoying to get notifications for messages you already saw.

1 Like