IC Time, Server Time, Calendar Time

This is turning into a ‘yes really bugs’ thread, but I feel silly starting a new one every time I need to mention something small.

Running into a time issue, and I’m not sure if it’s Ares or us (the downside to changing so much code is that I’m OFTEN not sure if it’s Ares or us).

Our calendar time is set to EST, but hitting ‘time’ shows our IC time the same as our super bizarre server time. Is there another place I need to hit this config?

+============================================================================+
Server Time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:26pm

Local Time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:26am
Your local timezone is set to America/New_York.

IC Time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:26pm
IC Time passes at a ratio of 1:1 compared to real time.

Related, I set my 9 PM EST event for 1 AM - which should be correct in server time. Now on the webportal my event displays as:

**Things in the Forest **
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:00pm (1:00am EST)

It’s displaying the game time correctly (EST), but screwing up what I presume is the time translation to my timezone from AresCentral? And I’m not sure any of these are matching what I’m seeing in ‘time’.

I feel like I’m missing some vital step.

1 Like

The calendar time setting is to tell Ares what your server timezone actually is. So if your server is in GMT, your calendar time setting should be GMT, not EST.

There’s currently no way to make Ares ignore your server timezone. But you should be able to change your server time if you want to. Check out Changing Server Time in Ubuntu.

I think that’s the root of your issue, but if I’m misunderstanding something let me know!

AH. That makes sense. Let me try changing it to GMT and see if that solves our issues.

I’ll also add a note to the config documentation to clarify what the calendar timezone setting does (and doesn’t do!)

1 Like

So that has solved the event issue:

Things in the Forest
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:00pm (1:00am GMT)

I presume that time there is showing for everyone in whatever they have set as their timezone? If so, that’s super sleek and handy.

But time still shows incorrectly:

Server Time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:53pm

Local Time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:53am
Your local timezone is set to America/New_York.

IC Time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:53pm
IC Time passes at a ratio of 1:1 compared to real time.

Am I missing a setting to change that ‘IC Time’ bit?

Yeah, the events always show up like Local Time (Server Time), so everyone can set it up to translate to their local time.

The time looks correct to me? IC time doesn’t change depending on your local timezone. (The assumption is that all characters are in the same timezone ICly even though their players may be scattered across the world :slight_smile: )

There’s no built-in way to shift the IC time by a number of hours, but it wouldn’t be hard to make a custom code mod for that. You just need to change the ICTime.convert_to_ictime method to shift the time by a set number of hours.

Yeah, I don’t want IC time to change by person, I want to change it for the game. It probably wouldn’t matter so much if our server weren’t so far ahead, but I don’t want the date to tick over before our West Coast players settle in for evening RP.

Usually I like IC time to match our setting location - so yeah, basically shift the IC time by a number of hours. I’ll dig into it tonight, should be easy math (I say, famous last words).

Understandable. Actually I suppose I could just make the “day offset” into an “hour offset” instead? I never pay any attention to the hour part of +time so it just never occurred to me.

You could, and it’d work, but it’d probably be a lot nicer on those folks dealing in months if hour could be separate. I haven’t looked at time yet, so I don’t know how complicated an extra config would be. I do think you’ll find other people wanting to offset the hours, though.

1 Like

It looks like it’ll be super-easy to add an hours_offset in addition to the days_offset so I’ll just plan on doing that in the next release.

1 Like