Difficulty installing in DigitalOcean

Hello, I’m following the install instructions for a self-installed DO droplet, and while the installation appears to go correctly, it’s unable to bind to the selected port when starting the game. The error from the game/logs directory is as follows:

2021-05-28 02:37:39 FATAL - Couldn't start the game: error=no acceptor (port is in use or requires root privileges) backtrace=["/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/eventmachine-1.2.7/lib/eventmachine.rb:531:in `start_tcp_server'", "/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/eventmachine-1.2.7/lib/eventmachine.rb:531:in `start_server'", "/home/ares/aresmush/engine/aresmush/server.rb:31:in `block in start'", "/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/eventmachine-1.2.7/lib/eventmachine.rb:195:in `run_machine'", "/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/eventmachine-1.2.7/lib/eventmachine.rb:195:in `run'", "/home/ares/aresmush/engine/aresmush/server.rb:22:in `start'", "/home/ares/aresmush/engine/aresmush/bootstrapper.rb:72:in `start'", "/home/ares/aresmush/Rakefile.rb:27:in `block in <top (required)>'", "/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/rake-12.3.3/lib/rake/task.rb:273:in `block in execute'", "/home/ares/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/rake-12.3.3/lib/rake/task.rb:273:in `each'"]
2021-05-28 02:37:39 WARN - Abnormal shutdown.  See if there are any errors above.

Here’s the contents of my server config file:

server:
hostname: rcreborn.hiddencorner.org

port: 4201

websocket_port: 4202

web_portal_port: 80

engine_api_port: 4203

use_https: false

certificate_file_path: '/home/ares/certs/fullchain.pem'

private_key_file_path: '/home/ares/certs/privkey.pem'

bind_address: ''

I’m running this on a standard $5 DO droplet with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS; the droplet was newly created for this installation, and as far as I’m aware I followed the instructions to the letter. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit to add: Here’s my netstat output from the Ares user’s perspective:

$ netstat -lnpt
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
 will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:6379          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:80              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.53:53           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
tcp6       0      0 ::1:6379                :::*                    LISTEN      -
tcp6       0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN      -
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      -

I see you’re using a custom host name. Did you set up the DNS records to point to the game droplet? You need to do that in-between creating the droplet and installing the game.

If you’re using namecheap, the instructions are here. (They may be useful even if you’re using a different host.)

If you did set up the DNS, it can take up to 24 hours for it to propagate through the internet. You can make sure that it has successfully reached your droplet by typing nslookup rcreborn.hiddencorner.org from your server shell. If it returns the droplet’s IP address, then try starting the game again. If not, you just need to wait a bit longer then retry.

1 Like

Waiting did the trick, looks like it was a DNS record propagation issue after all. Thanks!

1 Like