Alternate Skills for Healing

I was wondering if it would be possible to list more than one skill for things like Healing and Treat Injury? I ask because I’m trying to create a usable Star Wars system using FS3. For the most part, it works really well.

What I’d like, however, is for force users to be able to use the skill The Force for things like healing themselves or treating other people’s injuries. Setting it up so that it either took the highest skill from the listed skills or, my preferred way, would be to allow a character to list an alternate skill with the healing or treat injury check.

For example, “Treat PC” would use Treat Injury to treat PC while “Treat PC=The Force” would treat PC using The Force as the healing skill.

1 Like

I get where you’re coming from, but I think that’s a pretty narrow use case and not one that I think would fit well with the standard code. I’m also not sure that it would do what you want anyway. Treating just reduces wound modifiers. Healing is a long-term thing that gives a tiny bonus to daily heal rolls to let people under a doctor’s care heal a little faster. Neither seems to be the way that magical/force healing ought to work.

If you do delve into custom code for this, be sure to consider the combat/treat command as well as the out-of-combat treat command.

I guess if the skills listed don’t matter…why are they used at all then?

They determine how many patients you can take on as a doctor (Medicine / 2).

I don’t know how much you’ve looked under the hood, but /home/ares/aresmush/plugins/fs3combat/helpers/damage_helper.rb might give you a jumping off point for either tweaking your game’s heal code or making something custom.

I was able to cobble together some custom psychic healing commands as one of the first things I did in Ruby/Ares. They’re not well-written (and need to be rewritten entirely now that I understand what I’m doing better), but just going in and looking at how I could duplicate combat/mend and a separate healing command (that currently just deletes damage) was a good exercise. If you’re looking to learn, anyway.

1 Like

Hey, I’m always willing to learn. I need to get back on the ruby horse so this might be a good returning point.

1 Like

Treating a wound in combat reduces wound modifiers, which can have a profound effect on the combatant’s ability to continue fighting. (It’s pretty useless outside of combat unless you have a GM or some other coded system imposing wound mods outside of combat.) Doctor healing helps people heal faster. Healing from major wounds in FS3 is kinda slow, so even though it’s not a huge modifier it does add up day by day.

So they do matter, they just don’t work in the way that I would imagine you’d want magical healing (i.e. force healing) to work.

Well the Jedi on this game aren’t “space wizards”. They can just use the force to do things they may not otherwise be able to do. Like heal wounds in the way a doctor would without having Medicine as a skill. Which is why I just thought it’d be neat if we could just do a swapparoo on which skill is used.

Thanks for the response.

You could probably add a new config key (forcehealing_skill or something), and edit that helpers file:

def self.healing_skill
   Global.read_config("fs3combat", "healing_skill")
 end

and

def self.treat_skill
   Global.read_config("fs3combat", "treat_skill")
 end

If treat/healing_skill > forcehealing_skill, use treat/healing_skill; otherwise, use forcehealing_skill.

(But I haven’t actually tried so here’s a grain of salt.)

Yeah I’ve never seen Jedi healing in a SW game so I didn’t know how you imagined it working. If you literally just want to use the same first aid and doctor mechanic, it should be pretty easy custom code change to make it choose the highest from a list of skills instead of a single skill. Letting them choose the skill would be more work, since that would require changing the command (and combat action) syntax, but that’s certainly still do-able.

I’m not convinced either of those things has a broad enough appeal to warrant changing the base code, but if others chime in needing it, I could possibly be persuaded.