Achievements

I was contemplating an “Achievements” system for Ares. This would be an optional plugin and not something built-in.

Do you think folks would be interested in this? If so - what sorts of achievements would you like to see? I was thinking of things like:

• 1 / 5 / 10 / etc. scenes,
  • 1 / 25 / 50 / etc. cookies
  • 5000 / 10000 / etc. words posed in scenes
  • streak logins - 7 days, 30 days, etc.
  • created a handle
  • added a friend
  • participated in an event
  • wrote a vignette

stuff like that

I really like the idea, personally.

I like ‘gamification’ systems, and love achievements in video games. Simple things like what you’ve listed would be a good way of encouraging people to interact with the game and the code in ways they might not. Like the one about a vignette, or giving cookies. That sort of thing.

1 Like

I like numbers, and I love charts, and I would have a lot of fun with this. I especially like things that tell me how many scenes/words/cookies etc I’ve created. I’d also like to see how much luck spent. Wiki contributions? If there’s a way to do it, plots run/GMed would also be a great contribution.

1 Like

Is there somewhere that shows what achievements already exist in the default plug-in config?

No - I kinda figured that the discovery would be part of the fun for people. Of course anyone who really cared could just search the code, but that’s their choice :slight_smile:

1 Like

This may solve my problem. I’m wanting the scene publisher to add karma to a person’s character upon submitting the log to the website. And this would be based upon characters produced by that person in the log (whether emitting NPCs, such as with a plot, or a standard social scene. But I still need them stored in different locations, since plots will need to be reviewed but a normal social scene doesn’t really.

I don’t think the Achievements system will help you here. Achievements don’t actually do anything; they’re just fluffy “badges” like achievements/trophies in video games.

What you probably want to do is make a custom code mod to the scene share method to have it do whatever karma-related activity you need to do. Whether that’s automatically awarding something when a plot scene is shared, or creating a staff job so they can review the log and award karma if needed.

Well, it was just the achievements code was already counting things. I just figured I might want to look at the code for the word count system to steal from there to make the other scene code work.

And yeah, it will be on the automatic front since the purpose is to reduce staff load and player delay.

Is there any way to make the achievement notifications something players can toggle/on off?

As someone that RPs from work, not having the constant notifications would be awesome. :slight_smile:

Yeah I’ve found them annoying as well. I think I might just disable the global notifications entirely.

1 Like

Just a small thing I noticed with the cheevs.

If you create a completed scene from the portal (i.e., post a log or a vignette all at once), and it triggers an achievement, you don’t get the notification mail - and presumably not the actual cheev - till you do something in-game with the scenes. In both examples, I got the mail and the cheev after I did scene/end on an unrelated scene in-game.

1 Like

The achievements for scene types lags. Is this the same issue?

Ex: I do my first journal scene, nothing happens. I participate in a social scene, when that ends, I’ll get the achievement from the journal scene.

Yes, the scene achievement are only being triggered on a “stopped” scene. One that’s submitted on the web portal in the “completed” state doesn’t get stopped, so it doesn’t trigger the achievement. That’ll be fixed in the next patch, thanks.

1 Like

So uh, how hard would some custom achievements be? Or I guess awarding ‘badges’ for certain things?

Like lets say a major plot comes to an end and major changes happen on the MUSH, having a command where an admin could award the players who participated with a Made Things Go Boom! achievement could be pretty cool.

1 Like

Admins can define custom achievements for their game and award them through either code or the ‘achievements’ command.

2 Likes

Oh damn. I completely missed this. Thanks!

2 Likes